Harvard vs. Dartmouth.

The eleven played its first game of the season on Jarvis field yesterday afternoon defeating Dartmouth by a score of 48-0. On the whole the play was very encouraging. The blocking off of the backs was excellent, especially in the second half, and the ends and tackles, too, did their share, especially Hallowell, Newell, Mason and Emmons The team as a whole followed the ball well, as was shown by the fact that not once during the game when Dartmouth dropped the ball did some Harvard player fail to drop on it. The chief faults of the team were, on the part of the forwards, a failure to break through and tackle behind the line, and the part of the backs, a failure to "dive" for the holes made for them.

The game was called at 3 50, Harvard having the ball. The gain on the V was slight, but Gray, on his first rush made 10 yards round the right end. Trafford and Corbett bucked the centre for a total gain of 5 more. Gray made another good run round the left and Corbett three yards through right tackle, Gray five more between left guard and tackle, and Corbett made the touch-down round the right end, aided by good interference. No goal; 4-0.

Dartmouth fumbled in the V, Newell dropped on it and passed it to Hallowell who scored a touch-down. No goal; 8-0. Dartmouth again dropped the ball on the V, and this time Gage got it and scored, aided by Hallowell's blocking off. Goal; 14-0.

Dartmouth started off by gaining 15 yards round Emmons' end, and then made gain after gain of a yard or so at a tine through Waters. At last Harvard go the ball and worked it well up the field on gains mostly through ends and tickles. but lost it on an ill-judged try at a goal from the field.

Dartmouth did not gain on the V, and the ball soon went to Harvard, Gray soon scoring another touch-down by good interference. No goal; 20-0.

Harvard got the ball, and Trafford kicked soon, but Hallowell fell on the ball. Gray made 40 yards round the left end, and Trafford was pushed over. No goal; 24-0.

In the second half Brewer took Trafford place, Mason took Newell's, Highlands, Acton's, Upton, Waters'. At one time in the half Dartmouth got the ball to Harvard's 20 yard line on short gains through Highlands, but the rest of the half was spent in long runs by Harvard's backs, which resulted in five touch-downs. Brewer kicked two goals. The final score: 48-0.

The make-up of the teams:

Dartmouth. Harvard.

Curtis, l.e. Emmons.

Jones, l.t. Waters.

Jones, l.t. Upton.

Wilson, l.g. Mackie.

Mason, l.g. Mackie.

Jones, c. Lewis.

Carson, r.g. Highlands.

Carson, r.g. Acton.

Dodge, r.t. Newell.

Stone, r.t. Mason.

Townsend, r.e. Hallowell.

Gifford, r.e. Hallowell.

Allen, q.b. Gage

Pollard, h.b. Corbett. Gray.

Smolley, h.b. Corbett. Gray.

Randall, h.b. Corbett. Gray.

Ide, f.b. Trafford.

Webster, f.b. Brewer.

Referee and umpire, W. B. Segur, Dartmouth, M. S., and G. E. Burgess, Harvard, '93. Time, 1st half, 25 min., 2d half, 15 min.