Harvard Annex.

The Harvard Annex begins another new year under very favorable auspices. The freshman class is twice as large as last year and the total number of students enrolled in all departments number over 300, last year there were but 241.

An addition to the Fay House containing an auditorium for lectures and plays, and several recitation rooms has been erected. The seating capacity is 400.

The changes in the curriculum will be very slight. Among the additional instructors and new studies can be mentioned Mr. Hammond Lamont (Harvard, 66), who has been appointed an instructor in English at the university. He will have a course in advanced English composition. Dr. Maxime Bocher of Germany, instructor of mathematics at Harvard, will assume charge in a course of theory of functions, and Mr. Arthur Richmond Marsh will have a course in Dante and Spanish, besides his course in comparative literature. Professor Lyon has added the history of Israel, and Professor Ashley will teach political economy and the economic history of Europe and America. Professor Barrett Wendell has a new half course in Shakespeare, and Mr. Fletcher also has one on English literature in the seventeenth century. Dr. Bierwirth is expected to give a course in German, and Dr. Freeman Snow will give one on the history of American diplomacy.

Two prizes of $100 each are offered for the best metrical translation of any canto of Dante, and an essay upon Dante and his times.