The Harvard Democratic Club.

The Harvard Democratic Club held an enthusiastic meeting in Sanders Theatre last night. The President of the club, Mr. Brown, opened the meeting by reading a letter from T. W. Higginson, regretting his absence; also one from W. E. Russell, and a short note from Grover Cleveland.

Hon. Nathan Matthews then addressed the club. He spoke at some length of the aims of the democratic party. It was his belief, that if this time the republican party should be put down, it would be down for ever. Every democrat should see that this came about. All, he says. rests upon the simple question, as to whether or not a government under any plea whatsoever has a right to levy a tariff for anything but revenue. To the republicans he says this policy means absolutely free trade. This reduction of the tariff to revenue purposes, he says, must of course come gradually.

J. B. Carroll then spoke upon the question of federal taxation. He said a tariff should be imposed for public purposes only. It is no modern thing for men to get their gain at the public loss. Taxation is a necessity, but without proper limitations it becomes a tyranny.

Dr. William Everett, contrasted the policy of the republicans, with nature, which always plants where the seed will grow. The republicans never suited their policy to the conditions under which it was to take effect.

The meeting was closed by a short address by Josiah Quincy, which was pointed and showed up well the policy of the democratic party.