Christmas Magazines.

Already the holiday numbers of Harper's and Scribner's Magazines have appeared and except that they have increased in thickness by half an inch or more and bear decorated covers there is very little to distinguish them from ordinary issues. It is to be admitted, however. that one can hardly demand more than one gets in the regular numbers, such is the excellence of the contents both literary and artistic.

Harper's appears with a very attractive cover design in blue and gold, being a variation of the accustomed design especially appropriate to the Christmas season. After one has waded through some seventy-five pages of advertisements, the title-page is at last reached.

The opening article is "A New Light on the Chinese" with fascinating illustrations from paintings and drawings by the artist, Theodore Wares. Miss Mary E. Wilkins contributes her first attempt at play-writing, entitled "Giles Corey, Yeoman." Theodore Child, the Art-Critic, whose death was recently reported, has a paper on "Some Types of the Virgin." illustrated from paintings by the great masters, including a picture by Sandro Botticelli, which alone is cause enough for the existence of the Pre-Raphaelite School.

Another French story is published in this number, continuing the plan started with the "Rivals" in the November issue. "Le Reveillon" is admirably illustrated by George Roux; a contribution of especial interest is "Lord Bateman. A Ballad," with illustrations (hitherto unpublished) by W. M. Thackeray. A comment is written by the novelist's daughter, Mrs. Ritchie.

The long-loved "Easy Chair" is missing and it seems as if there were some mistake on the part of the binder and another copy would have it. But no; it is gone and with it a part of our love.

SCRIBNER'SThe Messrs. Scribners have accepted a plan which the Cosmopolitan attempted last year; that of publishing a colored frontispiece. It must be acknowledged that the success of the plan in the present instance is beyond question. And this attractive beginning opens a number devoted extensively to art. There are no less than four articles on art-work of one sort and another. The leading contribution is on "The Moral Painting in the Pantheon and Hotel de Ville of Paris" by Will H. Low. It is richly illustrated from the cartoons of the leading French painters.

The second article referred to is Mr. Frank D. Millet's description of the "Decoration of the Exposition" and being the man to whom all the credit for the success of the decoration is due, he is obviously in a position to write knowingly. It is only to be regretted that one of Reinhart's delicately-tinted studies or Kenyon Cox's graceful figures was not reproduced in colors for the frontispiece.

The third article of the four is the literature which two artists have written around two of their best pictures. It is doubtful if Kenyon Cox ever did anything in the way of illustration better than this "Lilith" and Mr. Low's "Narcissus" is equal to his best work.

The last art-article is Mr. Boyesen's "Norwegian Painters." The rest of the number is filled with fiction chiefly, notable in which is Mr. Hibbard's "Miss Latymnr."