Morning Prayers at Yale.

The question of abolishing compulsory attendance at morning prayers and chapel services on Sunday at Yale is receiving considerable attention of late at New Haven. The college papers have taken the matter up and are discussing it with a good deal of interest. One of the city papers has interviewed the more prominent professors on this subject and have published the results.

Perhaps the most significant interview was that with Professor Edwrd S. Dana, who is regarded by many as standing in the direct line of election to the Presidency of the University. In the course of his conversation Professor Dana said:

"The whole thing resolves itself into the question as to whether Yale is a college or a university. If it is a college it may be a proper thing to compel students to attend religious exercises; but a university demands a more liberal spirit. Yale's present system. I am free to say, is not in keeping with the university standard. The Yale man's average age is growing older year by year. I have been instructing here twenty years, and the average age of the men has grown two years in that time. A more ideal university standard than that we have now demands that students should not be driven into chapel like sheep."

The outcome of this discussion will be watched by Harvard men with no little interest for obvious reason.