The University Catalogue.

The catalogue of the University for 1892 '93 will appear this morning. In general form there are but few changes, now and then there being an improvement in the arrangement of the divisions. One important difference in the insertion of the "Divisions and Departments of the faculty of Arts and Sciences" of twelve parts, and with each is given the name of the chairman of the department.

Though the general arrangement remains with few alterations, there are numerous changes in detail which give an accurate idea of the modification and growth of the University. In a few cases vacancies caused by death have been filled by other men. First of these is the curatorship of the Herbarium, which is held by B. L. Robinson Ph.D., who succeeds the late Sereno Watson Ph.D. From the list of Officers of Instruction and Government is dropped the name of Joseph Lovering L.L.D., Hollis Professor of Mathematics and Natural Philosophy, Emeritus, who died during the past year.

In the list of Overseers there are five additional appointments. Most noteworthy of these is that of George Everett Adams, L.L.B., of Chicago who is the first men to represent the west on the Board of Overseers. The other three appointees are, A. T. Lyman, A. M. of Boston, J. C. Carter, L.L.D. of New York and Moorfield Storey, A.M. of Boston. R. M. Morse, jr., A.B. and J. O. Sargent, A.M. have withdrawn from the Board owing to the expiration of the term of office.

The changes in the Faculty of Arts and Sciences consist mostly of additional members. These are William H. Burr, Professor of Engineering, William J. Ashley, Professor of Economic History, Edward Cummings, Instructor in Sociology, Hugo Munterburg, Professor of Experimental Psychology, William F. Osgood, Instructor in Mathematics, Theodore W. Richards, Instructor in Chemistry, Wallace C. Sabine, Instructor in Physics, George P. Baker, Instructor in English, who was absent last year on his sabbatical, and Jefferson B. Fletcher, Instructor in English.

The force of instructors and assistants has been increased by 46 additional appointments. Some of last year's men have dropped out; others have become members of the Faculty.

The groups of courses remain the same in number as last year, though under each head there are numerous changes which have been fully explained in a previous issue. It is enough to say that the general tendency has been toward a broadening of the graduate department. A few courses, on Experimental Physiology, Anatomy, Bacteriology and Embryology of Vertebrates, which are regularly given in the Medical School, are also offered by the Faculty as suitable courses for students in the Graduate School.

It is interesting to notice the increase each year in the opportunities offered in the way of lectures, readings, seminaries, etc. These form an important feature of the educational part of the university, and their bearing to the regular courses is becoming more significant each year. The list last year was considered unusually large at 130, but in the present catalogue the number is increased to 224, an average of nearly six lectures a week.

The Administrative Board shows some changes in the appointment of Professors De Sumichrast, Marcou, Grei+++, Howard, Cummings, and Osgood , and the retirement from the old Board of Professors Byerly, Emerson, Wright, Peirce and Kittredge.

The Administrative Board of the Lawrence Scientific School is increased by William H. Burr, C. E., Professor of Engineering, otherwise it remains the same. The change in the curriculum consists in the insertion of a course of four years in Anatony, Physiology, and Physical Training, already described in a past number of the CRIMSON.

In the Graduate School, Professors Greenough, Toy, B. O. Peirce and Ashley take the places of Professors Goodwin, Trowbridge, Lyon and Taussig on the Administrative Board. One of the chief changes is the new regulation regarding the requirements for an A. M. degree. The change to be noticed is that "no year can be counted to a student as a full year of study for a degree which is not entirely devoted to studies approved by the Faculty as forming a complete year's work for that degree." This rule in itself is not new, but in the future no exceptions will be made to it, as has been the case in past years.

The Divinity School has been weakened by the withdrawal of Brooke Herford, D. D. Two other vacancies have also been made by the retirement of W. J. Tucker D. D., and F. A. Christie, A. B.

The only addition to the Law School Faculty is Eugene Wambaugh, L. L. D., Professor of Law, while in the Medical School W. T. Councilman, M. D. has been appointed Shattuck Professor of Pathological Anatomy and W. H. Howell, M. D. Associate Professor of Physiology. The changes in the Dental and Veterinary Schools and Bussey Institute are slight, but all tend toward the steady development of the schools to even higher standards than before.

The rest of the catalogue is taken up in description of the Summer Schools and their rapid growth; the Library, where the increase during the past year has been over 13,000 volumes; the Laboratories and Museums; athletic facilities and regulations and the customary records of scholarship and honors.

Below is the general summary of officers, teachers and other officers: -

President and Fellows, 7

Overseers, 32

Teachers: -

Professors 82

Associate Professors 4

Assistant Professors 28

Lectures 10

Tutors 2

Instructors 100

Demonstrators and Assistants 68

--

Whole number of Teacher 294

Preachers 5

Curators and Library Officers 11

Procters and other officers. 37

--

Total 386

Comparing these figures with those of eleven years ago and we find that there has been an increase of 167 in the teaching force of the University. There has in the same time been a remarkable increase in the number of students. In '91-92 there were, including the 27 in Summer Schools, a total of 1409 in the University. As shown in yesterday's CRIMSON this number has grown to 2966. If the 500 persons attended the summer schools be counted the total enrollment at Harvard becomes 3466 for the year '92-93.