More Magazines.

THE ATLANTIC.

No attempt has been made to make of the December Atlantic a holiday number. It is in no wise extraordinary, but ordinary means a great deal when Houghton, Mifflin & Co.'s name is signed to it.

The most important contribution to the number is entitled "A Few of Lowell's Letters" They were addressed to the art-critic and appreciator, Mr. W. J. Stillman. They are filled with clever things and a fascination which make them delightful reading and gives us an idea of of what Lowell, not the poet - but the companion - the friend - must have been.

Towards the end, Mr. Stillman writes: "The handwriting begins to show age, - it is tro+++mutous, and the letters are writ large. Death only could extinguish the kindly thought, the fine sense of humor, the affectionate fidelity to the past and its ties; nothing had changed in him to the last. When last I saw him .... I could imagine that, he labored under his dispensations as a good ship in a storm. burying his head at times under a wave, but rising to it, shaking off the weight, and keeping on."

Mr. Frank Bolles has a description of an experience. "Alone on Chocarna at Night." Edward Everett Hale continues his pictures of a "New England Boyhood;" Marion Crawford concludes "Don Orsino" and Mr. W. H. Bishop has another of his papers on "An American at Home in Europe." Miss Agnes Repplier has an attractive article on "Wit and Humor", filled with bright and clever little touches,

In the Contributor's Club, a writer discusses the question of the new Poet Laureate for England. His conclusion he states as follows: -

"It seems to me that there are only two English poets whose achievements entitle them to consideration, - Mr. Swinburne and Mr. William Morris. The latter, however, has turned anarchist, and is out of the question. Mr. Swinburne is a lyrical poet of the first order; ..... if the laureateship is not given to Mr. Swinburne, so much the worse for the laureateship"

OUTING.If the editors of Outing only knew it, they are accumulating for their magazine a great deal of disfavor by the endless continuation of that eternally pointless "drool" known as "Harry's Career at Yale." Patience ceases to be a virtue after the fiftieth chapter has been printed and the persistency of the publishers looks to us like obstinacy. It is time Mr. John Seymour would withdraw from the public gaze; let him retire and digest the notoriety his story has brought him.