University Extension.

The work of university extension at the University of Chicago, is very elaborately arranged. The course covers several different departments, or general methods of work, the most important of which are the Lecture Study department, the Class Work department, and the Correspondence Teaching department. There is also a department for training instructors.

The Lecture Studies are intended to stimulate and direct reading and studying along the lines of literature, history, and science. The lectures are accompanied by printed outlines which indicate the parallel study to be carried on by the students at home. Weekly exercises are prepared outside of the lectures and afford subject for discussion in the lecture room. Certificates are given to students who complete work in this department, according to the number of courses taken.

The Class Work department offers systematic courses of class instruction under university instructors. Instruction is given by the use of text books, recitations, experiments, or illustrations with frequent reference to the bibliography of subjects and encouragement of individual research. The courses include the subjects given in the Academy, Academic College and University College.

The purpose of the Correspondence Teaching Department is: (1) To prepare students who live at a distance for resident work. (2) To guide those who have already resided at the university and who desire to continue their studies after they have left. The courses of instruction are arranged to cover the same ground as the courses in the same subject in the university proper. Tasks are assigned by printed "instruction sheets" and performed on "recitation sheets" which are mailed to the instructors.

The work of the University Extension department is further supplemented by the extension of library priveleges. So-

(Continued on third page).