Mott Haven Team Notes.

After the short and much needed rest of the early part of the week, the candidates for the Mott Haven team have gone to work earnestly and with regularity. Although the spring meetings are far in the future and it will be a long pull until May, yet the men are training with a determination which cannot fail to develop some good athletes. All but five of last year's team are now attending college but the majority of the old men have not yet started to train, though the weight and hammer men are now practicing. The squad of walkers is unusually large and in fact larger than any previous year and the outlook for some fast men is very bright. It is gratifying to note the number of candidates for the pole vault, as in previous years the interest in this contest was not very great. At present the men are training on the outdoor board track, but as soon as the weather permits, they will be out on the cinder path. Quite a number of men are entered in the games of the Roxbury Latin School and several men will compete at Worcester on March 4, but the games which will draw a very large number of Harvard entries are the scratch events given by the Technology on March 11. Many of the old men will enter these contests and it is very possible that the Harvard athletes will capture the majority, of the prizes. Several new men have started to train during the past two weeks and the number of candidates has now reached two hundred and thirteen.

There is some excellent talent in the freshman class and the interest and regularity with which the men are training is very gratifying. Doubtless some good athletes will emerge from the large number now training. Some of the most promising candidates of the new men are given below:

For the sprints. - Bingham, Bacon, A. Coonley, Friedenberg, Grew, Hubbell, Johnson, Jameson, A. L. Jackson, Landauer, S. B. McNear, Priest, J. Sullivan, Tuckerman, Prouty, Bach, Kennedy, Holmes, Weill, Bull, Sheppard, Spurr, Knapp, Boyden, Reed, W. F. Baker, Wells and Guerin.

For the 440 yards run.- C. H. Baker, Dodge, Dorman, Hutchinson, Hyde, Merrill, Sackett, Ladd and Worman.

For the distance runs. - Emerson, Baker, F. E. Lowell, Lincoln and Hinckley.

For the mile walk. - F. Johnson, Morton, W. H. Thayer and Whiteside.

For the high and broad jump. - F. K. Richardson and B. J. Worman.