The New Sheffield Building at Yale.

The new Mechanical Engineering building in the Sheffield Scientific School the designs for which were prepared by a New York firm, has been rapidly pushed and the foundations are now completed. The building, situated between North Sheffield and Old Sheffield halls, is in the shape of a parallelogram 108 feet by 84 feet and with four stories. At the entrance is a semi-circular granite porch, supporting granite columns.

The mechanical engineering laboratory and hydraulic laboratory will be in the basement, with a room for the testing apparatus, heating arrangements, etc. The students in the Mechanical Engineering Department will occupy the first floor which will contain two large and one small drawing rooms, lecture rooms and the library. On the second floor will be eight rooms, among which will be the laboratory of physics and electrical engineering and a dark room for optics. The third floor will be devoted to the civil engineering course and will contain two large draughting rooms and a number of recitation rooms. On the fourth floor will be two large examination rooms each 80 by 40 feet.

The halls of the building being made entirely of slate, iron and brick, will be fire-proof. Ventilating apparatus will be put in two of the corner towers, and shafts in the other two, one for the boiler rooms, and the other for the hydraulic apparatus. A one story boiler house will be built between this building and North Sheffild Hall, and near that will be the steam engine laboratories. The buildings will be finished in hard wood, heated by steam and fitted with all modern arrangements. It is expected that the building will be completed next September.