Columbia's Crew.

The first meeting of the Directors of the new Columbia College Athletic Union has just been held. The board recommended that no 'varsity crew should be placed on the water this year on account of the lack of money, and the entire want of interest that Columbia shows in athletics. It was provided however that a mass-meeting of the students should be held to ascertain the opinion of the college at large. Five men of last year's crew are still in college but the three best of these, McKee, Prince, and Pomeroy will be unable to row. There will certainly be a freshman crew, and the candidates will begin active training in a few days.

Columbia has decided to join the rowing league with Cornell and the University of Pennsylvania, but she is allowed not to enter a crew any year. If Princeton has a crew, she will undoubtedly enter the league, and it would certainly be a great loss to Columbia's reputation to have no crew in the first year of the association's existence.

Until the mass-meeting has been held it cannot be said whether Columbia will have a crew or not, but from the present outlook it seems very improbable.

The course for the Intercollegiate Rowing Association has not yet been decided upon, although the choice has narrowed down to two, that at Newburg and that at Poughkeepsie. The decision will probably rest largely on the inducements offered by the citizens of either place.