Japanese Mission.

At the convention held in January, of the Church Students' Missionary Association, a Japanese who addressed the meeting said that the danger to Japan seems to be at present from skepticism. Missionaries do not find their greatest opponent in any national heathen religion but from the modern doubt to which young Japan is inclined. There is at present only one Christian in the country to every 500 unbelievers. It seems better to educate natives for mission work than to bring in foreign missionaries, although of course the latter are very useful. But natives can accomplish more, and schools for their instruction are important items in the progress of the country. The lack of books is very great. One theological seminary of about sixty students has only about seventy books in all.

The Harvard St. Paul's Society has subscribed about $40 for buying some of the needed books and any member of the University who may wish to increase the fund is asked to send his subscription to the secretary of the St. Paul's Society, H. Saville, 27 Hilton's or put it in the mission-box in the society room, 17 Gray's.