Phillip-Exeter Statistics.

The catalogue, just issued, contains the names of 299 pupils. There are in the classic course 46 pupils in the senior class, 57 in the middle, 50 in the junior and 43 in the preparatory; in the English course there are in the senior class 21, in the middle 41, in the junior 29 and in the preparatory 12.

The endowment of the Academy has received no additions, and the whole amount of its founders gifts and bequest, with all subsequent additions now figures $393,-410.41. Of this $46,129.50 was subscribed for the erection of the present recitation building, and $43,978.43 belongs to the Sibley fund, one-half the income of which is applied at present to the fund's increase.

At the close of the present year the preparatory class in the English course will be discontinued, and thereafter applicants for admission to the junior class of this course must pass examinations in United States history, elementary English, grammar and arithmetic.

The scholarships are awarded at the close of the fall term after an idea can be formed of the men's ability, and when once awarded may be held so long as the student keeps up his rank satisfactorily. There are at present thirty-two special scholarships, ranging in annual income from $70 to $140 and amounting in the aggregate to $3,270. In addition there are fifty trustee scholarships of $75 each, covering the amount of tuition. The charity fund of the academy has an income of about $1,500 and is awarded at the discretion of the trustees, upon the recommendation of the faculty, in sums not exceeding $75 a year.