Y. M. C. A.

Prof. Wright addressed the meeting of the Y. M. C. A., last night, on the subject of "Tolerance." Toleration, said the speaker, differs from tolerance, in the fact that the former is the principle which controls our actions, while the latter is the practice of that principle. So far as the attitude of different sects to each other is concerned, the virtue of tolerance, at least in this part of the world, is today, apparently well cultivated. This seems especially true to us when we consider the spirit of the early Puritans, and other religious sects, existing at the same time. And yet, we sometimes ask ourselves if they were wrong on this matter of toleration, and we are right. Oliver Cromwell expressed the real solution of this difficulty, when he said that in matters of mind, compunction can only be brought about by the light of reason.

There are several different forms of tolerance, but the best form, and that most to be striven for, is the one which, recognizing the largeness of truth, grants that our friend who differs from us, may have a glimpse of the truth, which, although not seen by us, is nevertheless truth. If we have a personal devotion to God, we shall find that the nearer we come to God, the true solution of the universe, the closer we are drawn to each other,