Chace, the Interscholastic Champion

The second annual tournament for the Interscholastic championship came to a successful close yesterday. The large number of sixty-six entries was on Saturday reduced to seven men, and yesterday morning's matches brought them to the finals. Malcolm Chace of the University Grammar School of Providence, was looked upon as a sure winner, but C. R. Budlong of the Providence High, played a much stronger game than was expected, and came very near winning the tournament. The first sets brought out some of the best tennis playing that has been seen on the Harvard courts; but Chace's sore hand bothered him considerably in the last sets, and Budlong showed the effect of the hard work he had already done in the tournament, so both men let up perceptibly on their pace. Thus the close of the match, while interesting on account of its closeness, did not show either man at his best. The final score was 6-2, 7-9, 4-6, 6-4, 6-4, in Chace's favor, making him Interscholastic champion of the United States, and the winner of the handsome gold medal.

In the contest for the banner, offered to the school winning the greatest number of matches, the University Grammar School of Providence won with a score of 9 points, with Hopkinson's School a close second with 8.

The tournament has been a complete success in every way. Not only in the interests of tennis but also in its effect upon Harvard's position among the preparatory schools is this movement a most important one, while the foresight and energy shown in carrying out the plans reflect great credit on the committee.