Mr. Chubb's Lecture.

Mr. Percival Chubb lectured last night in Sever 11 on "Recent Literary Developments in England."

It is not easy to classify the literary tendencies of the hour in England. All the greater writers, the novelists and poets have finished their active work and we must look to the younger writers. The influence of modern French authors has been considerable in England. There social and ethical factors count for more than in France, and today the great thing in England is the social revolution through which she is going. The most important work of the younger men has been done in criticism and poetry, though there has been some striking work in the novel and drama, as with Kipling, Miss Shreiner, George Moore and others.

In criticism we find such magazines as Reviews and Reviews, Impressions and Opinions, etc., which all vary in their conception of the critics' duty. Among the critics is Ibsen, with his keen and sombre figure that reminds us of a Dante, and George Moore, whose essays are chiefly on French subjects. In Mr. Robertson we have the first attempt to bring order into English criticism.

In recent poetry we have Haze's "March of Man," Watson's "By Wordsworth's Grave and other Poems." Watson is hailed by some as the coming great poet. Milton, Wordsworth, Shelley and Keats have all had an influence over him, but so far he has not shown the ease and copiousness of a great poet. Another poet who shows the French influence is W. E. Henley, whose "Song of the Sword" is vivid and scrupulously finished. "The Book of the Rhymer's Club," lately from the press, is a collection of most charming and original poems by Riese, Yates, Symonds and others. It has in its collection some of the most finished and musical poems of modern time.