The H. U. C. A. Meeting.

The third annual open meeting of the Harvard Cycling Association was held on Holmes Field Saturday afternoon. Although a slight breeze, which freshened at times, blew down the home stretch, the weather was almost perfect for fast riding. The energy and persistence with which the officers of the association have worked to make this meeting a success deserved the presence of a much larger crowd. The number of competitors and trainers, as it appeared, made up the bulk of the attendance. The failure of the appearance of Banker and Hess of the Manhattan Athletic Club was quite a disappointment as both men have shown superior ability in recent races. Berlo, Taylor and Tyler, men of established reputation, were the drawing cards of the meeting and made the different events highly interesting. Last year the Harvard association won more points than any other club, but this year's team was greatly weakened, as R. H. Davis L. S., and F. S. Pratt '94 did not compete. The feature of the afternoon was the limited mile handicap which was won by H. C. Tyler of Springfield. He broke the Harvard track record of 2 m. 40 s. by 9 4-5 s. The record was formerly held by A. B. Rich of New York.

The first event on the programme was the one mile scratch, which was closely contested in three heats. In the first heat the men loafed until the last lap, when H. C. Tyler of Springfield shot ahead and won in 3 m. 4 4-5 s. T. Connolly, M. A. C. was second and P. W. Davis '93 third. The second heat was much faster. P. J. Berlo, M. A. C. finished first with G. F. Taylor, Springfield B. C. second. Time 2 m. 44 1-5 s. The final heat ended in a desperate spurt in which Berlo won in 2 m. 47 3-5 s. Taylor was second with Tyler third.

The half mile, 2.50 class, was decided in one heat. F. S. Elliot '95 was the only Harvard contestant in this event. He rode a good race and finished second, only a few feet behind T. L. Connolly, M. A. C. E. Nelson, S. B. C. was third. Time 1 m. 20 4-5 s.

The school boys raced next for the mile interscholastic championship. It was practically a slow race as no one cared to lead. F. Ourish of the Dorchester High School spurted on the last turn and won in 3 m. 31 2-5 s. H. H. Brown, Hale's School, was second, and J. J. Vaughan, C. M. T. S., finished third.

The invitation team race between the Springfield Bicycle Club and the Press Cycle Club of Boston, proved a novel and exciting race. The former's team was made up of Taylor, Tyler and Graves who battled with Berlo, McDuffee and Martin. First counted six points, second, five, and so on. McDuffee set the pace for two laps, then Berlo took the lead with Taylor closely following. The order was changed at the tape by Taylor's final effort. The Press cyclers won by a score of 11 to 9. The finishing order was as follows: 1, Taylor; 2, Berlo; 3, McDuffee; 4, Graves; 5, Martin. Tyler fell on the last turn.

The first heat of the mile handicap was won by D. Connolly, M. A. C. (75 yds.). L. D. Munger, N. Y. (100 yds.) was second with P. W. Davis '93 (50 yds.) third. Time, 2 m. 34 s. G. F. Taylor was on scratch in the second heat, but could not overcome the leaders. J. H. Carter, Boston, (150 yds.) won and E. S. Elliot '95 (100 yds.) was second. The latter, however, made no effort to win. Munger and Elliot, both on the same mark, 100 yds., fought it out in the final heat and finished in the order above. D. Connolly was third. Time, 2 m., 28 3-5 s.

There were only two starters out of the four entries in the mile novice, open to Harvard only. H. M. Stevens '95 set a slow pace for three laps. At the beginning of the last lap, M. E. Greeburg '95 passed him, increased his lead and won easily in 3 m., 25 1-5 s.

The special mile, limited handicap proved to be the most exciting race of the day. Berlo and Tyler were on scratch and at the end of the third lap had passed the limit men. The bicyclists were neck and neck down the home stretch, but Tyler pushed ahead at the tape and won by the diameter of a wheel. T. L. Connolly was third. Time 2 m. 31 1-5 s.

The meeting was brought to a successful close with the mile ordinary handicap. There were only three starters, A. K. Pressy, P. C. C. won from scratch in 3 m., 2-5 s. W. Ourish, T. A. C. (50 yds.), who rode a pneumatic tired ordinary, was second, and T. L. Connolly finished third.

The field officers are appended:

Referee, A. D. Peck, Jr., B. A. A.; judges, J. H. Hunt '92, H. Fahnestock '92 and M. Chamberlin; timers, J. G. Lathrop, G. F. Brown, Jr. '92, and F. M. Wood, B. A. A.; starter, H. S. Cornish, B. A. A.; clerk of course, R. B. Beals '94; assistants, S. V. R. Thayer '94, G. B. Magrath '94, O. B. Hawes '93, and C. T. R. Bates '92; scorers, A. P. Carter '94, T. C. Smith '92 and C. S. Pierce; umpires, W. L. Thompson '93, F. S. Pratt '94, C. R. Bardeen '93 and C. C. Goodrich '93; Marshals, R. H. Davis, L. S., and T. R. Kimball '95.