Promenade Week at Yale.

Promenade week opened yesterday evening at Yale with the formal presentation of the new gymnasium to the university. This was followed by the Junior german, led by Harry P. Whitney. To night will be held the Glee Club concert and after that the Senior and Sophomore germans. The great event of the week, however, will be the Junior promenade in the Second Regiment armory on Wednesday night. As usual it has been promised that this will be the most brilliant entertainment of its kind, and certainly the expenditure has been sufficiently lavish to warrant such a promise.

For some years the Faculty has objected to the extravagance of the promenade festivities, and this year their protest has had one good effect. The receipts for the boxes at the promenade concert were so great that it has been decided to refund the money on tickets bought by Freshmen, who will thus be debarred from attendance at the concert. Hitherto they have been allowed to sit in the gallery and look on and to take part in the supper, where their presence has always caused confusion. Further, they have been expected to buy at least three tickets each and have so been tempted to sell those they could not use to outsiders. It is probable that after this year Freshmen will neither contribute to nor be present at Junior promenades, and with them will be excluded such objectionable persons as their extra tickets may have admitted.

The day after the promenade will be observed as a day of prayer for colleges, and meeting of the university will be held, to be addressed by Dr. Anderson of Waterbury.