The Atlantic Monthly for February.

The February number of the Atlantic Monthly is an exceptionally good one. The articles are varied and full of interesting reading. Fiction is well treated in "Alex Randall's Conversion" by Margaret C. Graham and "Old Kaskaskia" by Mrs. Catherwood, a continued story which is now fairly begun and in the midst of its situations and plot. Travel is represented by Mrs. Wiggin's sketches, "Penelope's English Experiences" which is also a continued story. Mrs. Wiggin treats of the English lodgings and her description of the English itemized bills are rather amusing. In this same class comes "Under the Far West Green wood Tree" and the English Cambridge in Winter." In the latter, by Albert G. Hyde, is given an excellent idea of the chapel services of the college and is well worth reading. "Feudal Chiefs of Acadia" by Francis Parkman and Dr. George E. Ellis' article on "Count Rumford" make up the history and biography. The former would undoubtedly be of interest to many not only on account of its pleasing style but because a good knowledge of Boston, as it was in the seventeenth century, is obtained. The story describes the visit of a French man-of war to Boston and how they were entertained by the people of that town.

The articles in literature are "Books and Reading in Iceland" by W. E. Mead, "Shakespeare and Copyright" by Horace Davis, and "Thomas William Parsons" by Richard Hovey. Besides these articles there are several more all of which are worthy of note, especially that entitled "White Mountain Forests in Peril" by J. H. Ward. The poetry contributed is "The Eavesdropper" by Bliss Carman and "Hegesias" by Edith M. Thomas, both of which are suggestive and full of hidden meaning.