Undergraduates in Baseball.

Following close upon the editorial from the Yale News, published in yesterday's CRIMSON, comes the following statement from the Yale Alumni Weekly in regard to the application of the new undergraduate rule to baseball:

"The five-year agreement with the Harvard Boat Club may prevent the adoption of the undergraduate rule this year in rowing, and until that question is definitely settled no correct idea of the material at hand can be obtained, The track athletic team likewise, is bound by the rules of the Inter-Collegiate Athletic Association, and in this there are so many colleges that it is impossible to say whether or not it will adopt the undergraduate rule. The nine is not bound by any agreement, and it is almost safe to say that if it meets Harvard and Princeton it will be with a purely undergraduate team on both sides. This undergraduate rule will disqualify Bowers, '92, now in the Law School, O'Neill and Norton in the Law School, and Kedzie, '93 S., who once attended the North Western University. The loss of these men will materially weaken the team, but the advantage to be gained in future by the more nearly absolute purity of athletics must seem to the unbiased mind to clearly overbalance it."

The spirit of the article would certainly imply that Princeton and Harvard will have very little to say about the matter, one way or the other. Yale is undoubtedly taking an independent stand in her efforts to "purify athletics". Whether or not her zeal will carry her so far as to lead her to be dictatorial and hence antagonistical to the best interests of athletics is a question which all true lovers of sports must view with no little apprehension.