January Magazines.

THE ATLANTIC MONTHLY.

The January Atlantic, though not an exceptional number, is an entertaining one and contains several articles of particular interest to Harvard men. "In a Winter Wilderness" by Frank Bolles is a description of the incidents of two December days spent in the wilderness of New Hampshire studying the beauties of the White Mountains under circumstances very different from those under which most of us know them. The description is picturesque and to a lover of nature or one interested in back-wood characters often fascinating. Mr. Bolles, as usual, gives the birds a good deal of attention and he seems to have been unusually lucky in seeing birds that we see here only once every half dozen years, siskins, pine grosbeaks, crossbills etc. His description of the logging camp is very good. The life of the loggers is not attractive though it would be interesting to accompany Mr. Bolles and study it for a day or two. Some of the back-wood customs are decidedly novel, for example we are told that a common form of attention for the drivers to show their favorite horses is to feed them on chewing tobacco. Mr. John Fiske has an article in this number on Edward Augustus Freeman giving a sketch of his life and a brief study of his character. The most amusing article of the number is the "Diary of a Nervou Invalid" by E L. Bynner. Other noteworthy articles in this number are "George William Curtis and Civil Service Reform" by Sherman S. Rogers, and "Penelope's English Experiences" by Kate Douglas Wiggin. The only poetry of the number "To a Wild Rose Found in October" is a pretty little song with just a touch of the serious.