Phillips Brooks House.

Owing to the financial distress which has prevailed during the whole summer, no systematic effort was made to enlarge the fund for the Phillips Brooks House. Up to Commencement the fund amounted to about $80,000. During the vacation small sums have been received, without, however, any solicitation.

An interesting feature in regard to this fund is that the money which has been given, has come from men who have never before contributed to the college. No appeals have been made to them; the gifts have been purely voluntary. The wide range from which the subscriptions have come is also worth noting. Two have been received from China, besides others from Japan, India, South America, and various parts of Europe.

A great many of the subscriptions have been small ones, from poor men who have loved the University, and drew such an impulse from Phillips Brooks that they are glad to contribute to a memorial to perpetuate his name. This object has interested a new body of men, it has brought out new givers to the University.

On account of long continuance of the financial strain, the committee will not begin to solicit for some time. They want from two hundred and fifty to three hundred thousand dollars; one hundred and fifty for the building, and as much more to endow it. The committee do not wish to start their work till the times will warrant the whole fund. Then they will make every effort to complete it. There is, however, no haste about the matter.

The death of Dr. Andrew Peabody, who was so intensely interested in the undertaking, added a new feature. It was felt that the building must be partly a memorial to him, although it is impossible now to say just what form that will take. It is possible that the main room may be Peabody Hall.

No plans have as yet been made for the building. The committee is, however, clear on one point; that the building shall not be little or mean, for such a one would be no honor to Brooks, nor service to the cause for which it is put up.

That so many subscriptions have come from young students and young men just out of college, has done much to stimulate outside interest in the matter. It has shown to the public the undergraduate feelings and the need for a building which shall assemble the social, kindly and charitable interests of the University.