The Football Practice Yesterday.

The sight of ten coachers on Jarvis Field yesterday was an unusual one for Harvard. Yet it marks a change in football methods which has been going on for several years. Graduates are beginning to feel an interest in the eleven, and even a responsibility, and the University is the stronger for their loyalty.

The presence of such men as Vick Harding, Finlay, Lake and Hallowell is an added incetive to the team and judging from yesterday's practice, it had a most happy influence upon the men. It is a question if a Harvard eleven was ever before coached by as many and as efficient men.

The play was sharp and lively throughout. The hard work was no little tax upon the players, but they did not appear to falter, but played a steady, creditable game. The interference was unusually good, and the defensive work was strong. Acton has strengthened the centre considerably, while Baldwin's work at tackle is becoming better by each day's practice. Gray was out again, but his ankle was not strong and he played only a few minutes. Newell also appeared once more in his old position, but gave way in the second half to Connor. Emmons was injured, though not seriously, and obliged to leave the field. A. Brewer and then Whittren took his place; the latter, after a long chase of Johnson made a pretty tackle and saved the 'varsity from being scored against. Brewer took Captain Waters' place in the second and made several brilliant runs from the middle of the field, while Waters did some energetic and effective coaching. All in all it was the most favorable day's practice the 'varsity has had this season.