'Varsity Crew Notes.

During the past two weeks the work of the 'varsity crew has been very much increased, and is now just as much as the men can stand. As a result, the crew has made rapid improvement, especially during the latter part of last week. As yet however, they have made no effort to develop speed. They have been trying rather to lay a substantial ground work upon which to build the stroke, hoping by so doing to be in better condition, when they begin to work for speed. Especial attention has been paid to the correction of individual faults of the men and the improvement of the team work. But even now, the men are far from rowing well together. In some respects the rowing, although not so fast as at the same time last year, is better than it was then, and everything that hard work and the best judgement of those in charge can do, is now being done to improve it.

The time when the crew will leave for New London is uncertain, but they will go just as soon as possible.

The men are rowing from twelve to sixteen miles a day, the work varying according to the condition of the men and the weather. Cummings is rowing with the crew part of the time every day During the time which he has been out he has lost a good deal but if his health will allow it and he can row well enough, he will probably row in the race.

Whether or not Acton will keep his seat in the boat cannot yet be said. If he does not row there will probably be some radical changes in the arrangement of the men; possibly Cummings or Lynam will row 6 and Rantoul 4.

C. F. Adams 2d has been doing almost all the coaching, Keyes having been out only only once since the crew has been on the river. Perkins has been doing some coaching in the pair oar.

Thomas '95, who was coxswain for the freshman crew in the class race, is now being tried on the 'varsity.

The order in which the crew is rowing and the weights are as follows:

Stroke, Ninde '93, 165

7, Kelton '93, 193

6, Acton M.S., 192

5, Waters '94, 181

4, Lynam M. S., 168

3, Cummings '93, 178

2, Winthrop L. S., 169

Bow, Newell, 169

Substitutes:

Rantoul '92, 172

Slade '93, 171

Johnson '94, 170