Course in Physical Training.

The great increase in the demand for competent instructors in physical culture, and the success which attended the course in physical training at the Summer School, led the University authorities to establish last year a four years course intended to equip men thoroughly for such work. Dr. Sargent says that there has been a fair amount of interest shown, but too few of the men who started in last year possessed the proper physical qualifications. The old fault with men seeking such positions has been that they have been simply good athletes, with no knowledge of anatomy or of the theories of development. There seems to be a danger now that the men who are taking the course may not be able to give practical illustrations of what they want to teach.

There is an excellent field open for a man who is fitted physically for such work. Every school and college of importance now has its athletic instructor, and the salaries paid are, as a rule, very good. Naturally a man who had had the benefit of so thorough a course as the University now offers would be given the preference by an institution looking for a man to take charge of its gymnasium.