The Annex in 1892-93.

The advance sheets of the annual reports of the treasurer and secretary of the "Society for the Collegiate Instruction of Women," enable the CRIMSON to give an account of the progress of that society during the past year.

To turn first to the treasurer's report, we find that of a total of $47,681.70 received, the large sum of $37,240.00 is the return from tuition fees alone. In the expenses, this is almost counterbalanced by salaries to the various officials amounting to $31,929.30. The other items of particular interest are $1,498.12 devoted to the library and $8,738.64 to building.

The secretary's report is naturally of greater general interest. It shows the usual increase in almost every department, the attendance during the year amounting to 263 as against 241 the year previous. The instruction for these young women was furnished by seventy-five professors and instructors of Harvard College, the older members of the Harvard faculty being well represented among them.

The work provided for graduates attracted graduate students from seven outside colleges and universities, and advanced students who had partially completed their work were received from nine. The number of schools that prepare girls has increased, the list including one hundred and eighteen as against one hundred and thirteen mentioned in the previous report. The requirements for admission of Special Students have been made more serious, and their numbers in consequence have been limited.

The greatest increase is noticeable in the classes of the English department, owing to the great attention which has of late years been given to the study of our own language. But even with this increase, the demand for teachers of the "Harvard methods" in lower schools is still greater than the supply. The demand is certain to continue and opens a new and wide field to the woman graduate.

The students still enjoy the privilege of using the library of Harvard College, but their own smaller collection is far from being neglected. Additions are constantly being made to it by private subscription or otherwise, and the number of volumes is now above six thousand, while in the fall of 1892 it was but little over five thousand. This collection is primarily intended for handy reference; but it has been more used than formerly, and more money has been expended on it than in any previous year.

The secretary points out as the present needs of the society, buildings for the growing library, the laboratories, and the gymnasium, and grounds for various forms of healthful exercises; but the most pressing need is small buildings in which the students may be given homes of comfort and refinement at low cost. As the secretary suggests, the erection and equipment of one would be a charming form of charity for some person of means.

The plan for raising an endowment fund of a quarter of a million dollars, with the hope that when it should be offered to the Corporation of Harvard College a union of some sort would be effected, has not yet had a definite result, the contributions so far falling short of the sum contemplated.