The New Engineering Society.

A sign of the developement of the Scientific School is seen in the impetus given to the work of the engineering department since the advent of Professor Hollis. As an instance of this, the Electric Club met last night to consider the advisability of disbanding in order to form a larger society to include men interested in all engineering topics.

The Electric Club was organized seven years ago. During 1891-92 little interest was taken and it disbanded. It was revived last year and met with considerable success; regular meetings were held and a public lecture was given under its auspices. This year professor Hollis suggested that the club develope on broader lines in order to bring the interests of the different branches of engineering together.

At the meeting last night a committee was appointed to prepare a set of rules to be presented at the large meeting next Wednesday. Professor Hollis outlined the possible field of work of the society, and the students met his proposals with much enthusiasm.

The following circular will be distributed to all likely to be interested:

"You are invited to attend a meeting to be held in Room 1 of the Lawrence Scientific School, at 8 p. m., on Wednesday, December 20, for the purpose of discussing the formation of an Engineering Society. The desirability of such a society has long been recognized. Its advantages for the promotion of a knowledge of general engineering subjects will be very great. If the membership proves to be sufficiently large, it will be possible to secure the services of practicing engineers as lecturers on current topics. Professor Hollis will speak on the objects and advantages of an Engineering Society at Harvard University."