Harvard's Reply to Yale.

Harvard's first official action in regard to the new undergraduate rule was taken last night, in refusing to accept Yale's proposition to row the race next July under new conditions. The correspondence between the two universities is given below and is self-explanatory:

NEW HAVEN.Jan. 21, '93.

D. R. VAIL, ESQ.

DEAR SIR. - Yale has decided to try to confine all her athletics to undergraduate students and in accordance with the determination I hereby offer to row the annual race with Harvard under the following specifications which are to be substituted for the first sentence in rule XXVI of the rules which at present govern the boat races between Harvard and Yale;

"No member of a graduate department or special student shall be eligible, nor any undergraduate who is registered or has attended lectures or recitations at any other university or college nor, any undergraduate who is not pursuing a course for a degree requiring an attendance for at least three years."

Unless I hear from you to the contrary by the second of February I shall consider that the race this year will be held according to the rules now existing between Harvard and Yale.

Yours very trulySHERWOOD B. IVES,CAPT. Y. U. B. C.To D. R. VAIL ESQ.

Capt. Harvard University Crew.

CAMBRIDGE MASS.Jan. 30 '93.

SHERWOOD B. IVES. ESQ,

Captain Yale University Crew,

DEAR SIR: - I have received your letter of January twenty-first, proposing that the Yale-Harvard race be rowed by crews made up exclusively of undergraduates.

We are in full sympathy with the recent action of the Intercollegiate Foot Ball Association, and Harvard is ready to cooperate with Yale in an attempt to exclude the perpetual and the imported athlete, But many of our men think that these evils may be removed by another method, which is not open to the objection of disqualifying entire departments of the University.

The question of method is now receiving careful consideration, but whatever method be finally agreed upon, we think now, as both the Yale and Harvard representatives thought at the Dual League in 1890, that a change of so radical a nature ought not to go into effect at once, with the result of disqualifying students now at the University and eligible as members of athletic teams under the existing rules.

For these reasons we prefer to row the race this year under the agreement as it now stands.

Yours very truly,DAVIS R. VAIL.