Colonel Higginson's Talk.

Last evening Colonel Thomas Wentworth Higginson spoke very informally before the Graduate Club, basing his remarks on some unpublished journals of a recent visit he had made to England and France.

Certain phases of English life in London and elsewhere, he set forward in a most vivid and entertaining manner. One almost felt that he was among the people himself, and was himself noting down their peculiarities of character, manner and custom. He spoke about the trial of Mrs. Besant; of various London Clubs which he visited; of an Oxford commemoration exercise he attended, and of different people he met, always noting the peculiar national traits, which are foreign to our American ideas.

Colonel Higginson then spoke a few words about a Voltaire celebration he visited in France, which presented and excellent opportunity for a most general view of French characteristics as shown by the multitude.

The talk was closed by a few words on the most prominent of the English traits. It is surprising to notice how very markedly they are lacking in sympathy and humor, in both of which the Irish and the negro are so strong. But their sense of loyalty and fair play, both of which Col-Higginson illustrated by happy anecdotes, are what chiefly lend to the nation its high and respected character.