Wesleyan's Suggestion.

The attitude of Wesleyan towards the undergraduate rule is shown by the following words of Prof. Merrill, the graduate member of the board of directors of the Wesleyan Football Association.

"The evils of so called professionalism cannot be prevented by the proposed substitute rules. The evils have their root in the professional schools, and no legislation that admits the members of these schools to the teams will give the relief sought for by all true admirers of college sport.

"Then, too, the objection to the professional school men is based on the further ground that teams admitting them have a range of choice extending over about eight years, nearly the full extent of a man's efficiency as an athlete. There can be no just comparison between such teams and teams chosen from a range of four years, and those four years at the very beginning of a man's athletic efficiency.

"Let there be two teams in such universities as can support them, one including professional school men and the other drawn exclusively from the college department; but let the teams that meet each other be on substantially the same footing if there is to be any comparison. I do not think that Wesleyan will be at all likely to recede a particle from the position already taken by the intercollegiate association."

The CRIMSON has published the opinions of all sides on this much disputed question. The idea of having two teams representing the university is a novel one, but rather far fetched from our standpoint. It may however be interesting to keep in mind the various plans suggested to remedy the evils of the present systems, and to compare them with the one finally adopted. This will doubtless be a curious compromise between them all.

The Wellesley Shakespeare Society intends to build a clubhouse on the model of Shakespeare's house at Stratford-on-Avon.

The class of '96 at Dartmouth has elected the following officers: President, Cummings, vice-president Harris; secretary Foster. A class banquet is to be held the 22nd.

Professor W. H. Pickering will watch the total eclipse of the sun next April, from the Andes. He is now at Harvard's station in Peru, making observations of Mars.

At a meeting of the American College Baseball Association on Saturday the following board of officers was elected: President H. C. Ide of Dartmouth; secretary and treasurer C. T. Ennis of Williams first vice-president George L Hamilton of Amherst; second vice-president R. L. Burnet of Dartmouth.