The First Winter Meeting.

From an athletic standpoint, the meeting of the H. A. A. on Saturday last was a great success. It was, however, rather too drawn out to suit the spectators, who were present in large numbers. It was pleasing to see that the meeting began promptly at the advertised time, otherwise it would have been unbearable. The first event was putting the shot. Pennypacker, '88, and Gibson, '88, were the only contestants. Pennypacker won the event with a throw of 37 ft. 9 1-2 in., Gibson's best put being 35 ft. 2 in. Mr. D. C. Chamberlain, '86, who holds the Harvard record in this event, was present and acted as measurer. Pennypacker's put beat the one made at the Yale and Second Regiment games held in New Haven, March 3, by 1 1-2 in. The middle-weight wrestlers next appeared. The contest was narrowed down to L. W. Puls fer, '90, and F. S. Duncan, '90-Mason, '91, not appearing, and Monroe, '89, getting into the light-weight-class. Duncan won the first-fall in 5 min. 15 sec., Pulsifer getting his wind knocked out by a tumble. The second fall came to Pulsifer in 6 min. 13 sec. While these men rested before the third trial, the first bout of the middle-weight sparring was called. Bangs, '91, faced Mancha, Sp. Mancha appeared to have somewhat the best of the first round. The second round was very even and fairly lively. Bangs was getting in a good many body blows. In the third round the fighting was rather weak. The bout was awarded to Bangs, as he was in the better condition. The wrestlers now appeared for the third fall. This went to Duncan in 2 min. 53 sec., thus giving him the middle-weight cup. The second bout of the middle-weight sparring now began between H. McAllister, L. S., and W. J. Bowen, L. S. The three rounds were very even, so much so that a fourth was called for. McAllister had all he could do to keep off Bowen's rushes, owing to the latter's great strength and weight, but he showed great pluck and coolness. At the end of the fourth round, McAllister was announced as the winner. The result was most warmly applauded and nothing would suit the audience but a recall of McAllister. It was disgraceful that during this bout there was repeated hissing at many perfectly fair blows. McAllister showed his disapproval of this by signals to the spectators. It is a downright outrage that men cannot keep their feelings to themselves better than this. The light-weight wrestlers were now called out. The first bout was between F. Cabot, Jr., V. S., and E. L. Hambleton, Sp. Cabot won the first fall in 4 min. 13 sec. and the second in 1 min. 23 sec. W. L. Monroe, '89, and S. Paine, '90, were drawn for the second bout. The time limit elapsed without either's getting a fall. In the second round Paine won a fall in 4 min. 10 sec. Monroe did not appear for the third round and so the bout went to Paine. F. Dana, L. S., and C. C. Horne, '91, the heavy-weight boxers, now came in. Dana led off with a rush. Hard hitting and absence of guarding marked this event. Three rounds showed nothing but two groggy men, and as Dr. Sargent forbade a fourth one, the event was declared a draw. The second round of the middle-weight wrestling was now called, E. J. Knapp, '91, who had drawn a bye, met Cabot. Cabot won the second and third falls in 8 min. 55 sec. and 2 min. 5 sec. respectively, there being no fall in the first trial. As all had withdrawn from the heavy-weight wrestling but J. Trevis, Sp., he was given the event. Now came the "funny" event of the day, the feather-weight wrestling between G. A. Goebel, '88, and H. Nuss, '90. Time was called on the first round without any fall; Nuss won the second in 2 min. 51 sec.; about the middle of third, Goebel retired, giving the event to Nuss.

The final middle-weight sparring was now called, McAllister vs. Bangs. The first round was rather quiet, both men feeling around a good deal. In the second and third rounds Bangs forced the fighting, but his advances were well met and again the judges had to announce a draw. The final light-weight wrestling went to Cabot, who won the only fall in the second bout; Paine did not appear for the third. The floor was now cleared for the tug-of-war. The sophomores, with the following team, had the north end of the building: A. Amory, (anchor), L. A. Piper, E. S. Jones and R. Jones, while '91 was represented by J. J. Higgins, (anchor), W. A. McClellan, 3; J. White, 2; and P. Y. DeNormandie, 1. The pull was a very exciting one. The freshmen won the drop by 1-2 in; at 3 min. '90 had made matters even, and finally won by about 2 in.

Officers of the meeting-Referee of Sparring, Dr. William Appleton, '87; Judges of sparring, Mr. J. P. Hawes, Mr. John Bryant, '73; Judge of Wrestling, Mr. Outram Bangs, '84; Judge of general events, Mr. G. B. Morrison, '83.