Second Winter Meeting.

The second Winter Meeting of the Harvard Athletic Association which was held in the gymnasium on Saturday afternoon proved a great success. The management was excellent and one event followed another with very little delay. There was a large attendance including the average number of ladies. A pleasant novelty was the music of the Banjo and Mandolin Clubs which filled up the gaps between the events and added considerably to the enjoyment of those present.

The first event was the running high jump in which the following men contested: W. E. Putnam '96 (4 inches); C. J. Paine B. A. A. (4 inches); E. H. Clark '96 (6 inches); M. F. Sweeney X. A. A. (scratch); P. C. Stingle M. A. C, (4 inches); G. C. Chaney '94 (6 inches); H. M. Wheelwright '94 (6 inches). The bar was started at 4 feet 8 inches. All cleared till the bar was raised to 5 feet 6 inches which Clark failed on his third trial At this point Stingle entered the competition. Chaney and Wheel wright dropped out at 5 feet 7 1-4 inches, and Stingle failed at 5 feet 8 1-4 inches. Putnam followed suit at 5 feet 9 1-2 inches but Sweeney and Paine both cleared the bar. It was then raised to 5 feet 10 3-4 inches which was cleared by both; but neither could clear 5 feet 11 3-4 inches. Paine won with an actual jump of 5 feet 10 3-4 inches, W. E. Putman '96, second, with an actual jump of 5 feet 8 1-4 inches; and H. M. Wheelwright '94, third, with an actual jump of 5 feet 6 inches. Paine enters Harvard next fall and his excellent record clearly points him out as a promising man in the high jump.

The next event was an exhibition on the parallel bars. The entries were R. Macallister '93 and E. E. Clarke '94. Each man had three trials and the muscular development and cleverness which both men evinced was remarkable. Indeed the contest was so close that it had to be decided by lot at which Clark '94 won.

Following on this event were the broad sword contests. The entries were R. B. Merriman '96; J. C. Hancock '95, H. F. Gillette '96, and C. N Barney M. S. The bouts were for 10 points and all cuts above the waist, as well as thrusts, were made to count. Hancock and Merriman were the first men matched. Merriman was the cleverer and won, 10 to 6. In the Gillette Barney bout the contest was closer, Barney winning. In the finals Merriman won from Barney, 10 to 9,

There was no top spinning as Kishimoto was unable to appear. The exhibition will take place at the third meeting to be held next Saturday.

The ladder exhibition which followed the broad sword contests was very good. The men were: R. D. Farquhar '93, E. Townsend L. S., F. W. Moore '93, C. R. Bardeen '93 and R. Macallister '93, Macallister especially as the chief figure of the exhibition again showed his great strength and power of endurance.

The next event was the tumbling. W. E. Putnam failed to appear and C. B. Earle '94 and R. D. Farquhar '93 were the only entries. Both men went through the usual movements and seemed to be evenly matched. The prize however was awarded to Earle.

The potato race was a very close contest. There were six entries: C. B. Earle '94, E. H. Clark '96, G. L. Collins '96, A. L. Jackson '95, F. H. Bartlett '96. In the first heat Earle won with Clark second; in the second heat Jackson won with Bartlett second. These four men were the contestants in the final heat which was won amid a good deal of excitement by Jackson in 49 seconds. Clark secured second prize.

The performance on the double trapeze by F. W. Moore '93 and R. Macallister '93 was by all odds the best event of the meeting. Their feats were difficult and carried out with a show of great strength and skill. The whole would have done credit to professional performers, to say nothing of amateurs.