Chapel Service at Yale.

In view of the enlargement of Battell Chapel at Yale, a history of chapel service at that University may be of interest.

When Yale College first moved to New Haven in 1716 from Saybrook, the Students occupied one of the galleries of the First Church at Sunday morning service while week day prayers were held in one of the college buildings. In 1757 however a petition providing for a separate College church was addressed to the college authorities. This movement resulted in the erection in 1763 of Atheneum. The regular religious services of the College were held here till 1824, when a larger building was necessary owing to the increased number of students In that year the building now known as "Old Chapel" was erected, and served its original purpose till 1876 when it was turned into recitation rooms as Battell Chapel was completed.

This building cost about $200,000 has a seating capacity of over 1100, and as the proposed alterations are to be made for the purpose of increasing this capacity, it would seem that the idea in the last President's Report suggesting the erection of a new building has been given up.