Symphony Concert.

The fifth of the concerts by the Boston Symphony Orchestra, given last night in Sanders Theatre before the usual large audience proved, from the variety of its programme and the excellence of its rendering, one of the most interesting of the season. The soloist for the evening was Mr. Alwin Schroeder, first 'celloist of the Orchestra. The selections by the Orchestra were given with more than usual accuracy and precision, while the combination of technical skill and feeling which the soloist displayed, made his work exceedingly artistic. Whether one attempts to criticise favorably or to find fault with such a performance he stands on equally unsatisfactory ground, for to criticise favorably is but to imitate and to find fault with, is folly.

The first number on the programme was the Overture "Ossian' by Niels W. Gade, one of the most gifted of living composers. The Overture won for him in the year 1841, a prize offered by the Copenhagen Musical Union, and after its first performance, he was immediately taken into royal favor and treated with the greatest distinction. Scenes from the tales of the old bards, of peace and war suggest themselves to the bearer as he listens to the soft, melodious parts by the violins and the harsh discordant flare of the brass instruments.

In the second number a concerto for for violincello, by Saint Saeur, an opportunity was given the soloist to show his marvellous technique; the piece seems to have been written with that intent. On the high notes, the tones were as pure as those of a violin and the low notes were faultlessly accurate.

The third number was the familiar "Invitation to Dance" by Weber-Berlioz. The piece represents admirably the idea of the title, the easy, swinging waltz movement having that. irresistible attraction which is in itself so much of an invitation to dance. As usual the audience, either very careless or extremely enthusiastic, began to applaud during a rest several measures before the end of the selection.

The fourth number consisted of three solos for Violincello with piano accompaniment, "Sarabande" by Bach; "Moment-Musical" by Schubert and a Scherzo by Klengel. In these pieces Mr. Schroeder showed the greatest feeling and sympathy; he had to give less attention to mere detail and was able to enter more fully into the spirit of music. The first is a slow and rather melancholy movement and the other two are opposite in character and together they make a hard test of the soloist's powers.

The "Rhenish Symphony" by Schumann was the fifth number. This work is intended to convey the impressions of the composer on a visit to Cologne and its second performance took place there in 1851. There are five movements, the first and last being "vivace." The three middle ones are solemn and quiet and the whole leaves a very pleasant impression with the hearer.