CONSTITUTION OF HARVARD ATHLETIC TEAMS.

RULE 1. AMATEURS.

No student shall be allowed to represent Harvard University in any public athletic contest, either individually or as a member of any team, who either before or since entering the university shall have engaged for money in any athletic competition, whether for a stake, or a money prize, or a share of the entrance fees or admission money; or who shall have taught or engaged in any athletic exercise or sport as a means of livelihood; or who shall at any time have received for taking part in any athletic sport or contest any pecuniary gain or emolument whatever, direct or indirect, with the single exception that he may have received from the college organization, or from any permanent amateur association of which he was at the time a member, the amount by which the expenses necessarily incurred by him in representing his organization in athletic contests exceeded his ordinary expenses.

RULE 2. BONA FIDE STUDENTS.No one shall be allowed to represent Harvard University in any public athletic contest, either individually or as a member of any team, unless he is, and intends to be throughout a college year, a bona fide member or the university, taking a full year's work.

A student who is dropped for neglect of his studies into a lower class shall be debarred from taking part in intercollegiate contests until the end of the next academic year, or until he is permitted by the Faculty to rejoin his class.

No one hereafter entering the university, who is not a freshman in the college or scientific school, and no freshman in either of these departments, who has ever played in an intercollegiate contest upon a class or university team of any other college, shall play upon a Harvard team until he has resided one academic year at the university and passed the annual examinations upon a full year's work.

RULE 3. TIME LIMIT.No student, whether he has represented one or more colleges shall take part in intercollegiate contests for more than four years; and this period shall begin with the year in which, as a player upon a university team, he first represented any college. In reckoning the four years, the year of probation mentioned in Rule 2 shall be excluded, and also any year lost to a student by illness. But this rule shall not, during the calendar year 1893, disqualify any one who would be eligible under pre-existing rules.