April Magazines.

OUTING.

Outing for April opens with a strange story of adventure, "In the Shadow of Ninevah" by William Hinkley. This is followed by some seventy pages of fiction, tales of shooting and fishing, and other sporting articles. "Canoeing on the Merrimac" by I. N. Drake is a bright and entertaining account of a two weeks canoe trip. Allen Chamberlain gives us an account of a novel expedition in "Hunting a Tapir." The story of the hunt is not exciting, but it is well written and is pleasant reading. A couple of bicycling articles are "A Wheel to San Gabriel at Easter" by Jess and "Through Erin A-Wheel" by Grace E. Denison. The latter is the better of the two. It is a narrative of the adventures of a man and woman on a summer trip through Ireland. It is well illustrated. "Feathered Dancers" by J. M. Murphy is one of the best articles of the number. The author opens with some entertaining remarks on dancing in general which go to show that as a rule dancing is a sure sign of frivolity; he finally quotes the rather cynical advice "If you dance well, dance seldom; if you do not dance well, do not dance at all." Speaking of the vanities of animals the author says, "The lower we descend in animal life, the more of a coxcomb does the male become." He then gives a detailed and interesting account of our bird dancers, chief among which are the members of the goose family. 'Sport with Canada Geese" is very good. "Miss Caruther's Partner is interesting though not a novel or very clever story. The other articles of the number are in the usual style. The poetry and illustrations are unusually good.

NEW ENGLAND MAGAZINE.The first and best article of the New England Magazine for April is "Trinity Church" taken from an historical sermon preached by Phillips Brooks in 1877. It is the history of the church, founded in 1728 down to the present time. It is fully illustrated with pictures of the old and new churches and with portraits of most of the rectors of the parish. The description of the present church is written by H. H. Richardson, the architect. Benjamin Kimball describes the work of the Boston Camera Club in a manner that must be interesting to all photographers. This article is well illustrated with examples of the club's work. Georgianna A. Boutwell contributes "Silas Deane and the coming of Lafayette," an interesting historical article showing us how much we owe to Silas Deane for the coming of Lafayette to America. A. L. Perry has an article "Protection," giving a very good idea of the protective system. J. P. Pollad the young Chicago writer, is the author of the short story of the number "The Convict Who Escaped." It is rather a striking story. "Andy Rick's Handy Tricks," another short story written by L. K. Meekins, one of the editors of the Baltimore American. The poetry of the number is very good, the best being "After the Quarrel" and "The Kiss of Children."