Baseball.

HARVARD 6, AMHERST 0.

Harvard shut out Amherst yesterday afternoon mainly by virtue of Wiggin's steady pitching. He not only struck out eleven men and fielded his position well, but he also showed his best work at the most critical stages of the game. With two men on bases in the fifth, and no one out, he retired one man on a weak bunt and the other two on strikes. Abbott did some great work at the bat, making three hits in his four chances. Trafford also found the ball surprisingly well. The nine fielded almost perfectly, the one error being made in the ninth with two men already retired. There was poor judgment, however shown in the base running and at least one run was lost by stupid coaching. The play by which Hovey was put out at third was far from complimentary to the nine.

Amherst put up a good game, although she has a weak spot at third. In six innings she was retired in one, two, three order, and only in the fifth and sixth did she have any chance of scoring.

Amherst was first at bat. Cheney struck out, Allen made a hit, Hunt was retired from pitcher to first, and Allen was cut off at third. Hallowell got first on balls, stole, and came in on Hovey's hit, Cook struck out. Hovey got to third on Abbott's hit, but Allen was too quick for him, and he was out. Abbott stole and came in on wild pitches. Sullivan took first on balls, and got to third on the wild pitches but was left as Frothingham flied out to Ellis. Amherst was easily retired in the second and Trafford's hit was all that Harvard could do. Landis started off the third with a hit, but was thrown out on second. Flitchner went out on a fly to Hallowell, and Ellis on strikes. Abbott made a hit and reached third on Flitchner's muff of Sullivan's fly, but was left there.

It was easy work with Amherst again in the fourth, but Harvard came near adding one to her score. With two out and Upton at first, Ellis made two errors and let him get to third, but Hallowell could only hit a grounder to Landis. In the fifth, Amherst showed a little more life. Stearns made a scratch hit, was moved on to third by Smith's base on balls. Then Wiggin pitched up Colby's grounder and threw Stearns out at third and retired both Landis and Flitchner on strikes. Harvard for the first time went out in regular order. Amherst, after Ellis had gone out, made two hits and a good sacrifice. Stearns hit a grounder to Hovey and was out, leaving men on second and third. Harvard made two runs in her half. Frothingham, Trafford, and Upton made hits in succession, these bringing in Frothingham. Then came a pretty play. Trafford was on third and Hallowell knocked a high fly which Allen caught against all expectation. He could not recover however quickly enough to throw Trafford out at the plate, and by his lively work Trafford brought in another run.

In the seventh, eighth and ninth Amherst saw first only once, while Harvard added a couple more in the seventh. Abbott made a double and Trafford brought him in on a single. With Frothingham on third and Trafford trying for second from first Allen threw the ball to second. Frothingham was quick to use the chance to score. Hallowell was retired at the plate in the eighth, and this spoiled the prospect of another run.

The score:

HARVARD.

A.B. R. B.H. T.H. P.O. A. E.

Hallowell, c.f., 3 1 0 0 2 0 0

Cook, 3b., 5 0 0 0 2 1 1

Hovey, 2b, 5 0 1 1 1 2 0

Abbott, l.f., 4 2 3 4 1 0 0

Sullivan, s.s., 3 0 0 0 0 2 0

Frothingham, r.f., 3 2 1 1 1 0 0

Trafford, 1b., 4 1 3 3 9 0 0

Upton, c,, 3 0 1 1 11 3 0

Wiggin, p., 4 0 0 0 0 15 0

- - - - - - -

Totals, 34 6 9 10 27 23 1

AMHERST.

A.B. R. B.H. T.H. P.O. A. E.

Cheney, l.f., 4 0 1 1 1 0 0

Allen, c., 4 0 2 2 6 3 0

Hunt, 1b., 4 0 0 0 7 0 1

Stearns, 2b., 4 0 1 1 5 3 0

Smith, c.f., 3 0 0 0 2 0 0

Colby, p., 3 0 0 0 0 7 0

Landis, s.s., 3 0 1 1 1 3 0

Flitchner, r.f., 3 0 0 0 0 0 1

Ellis, 3b., 3 0 0 0 2 0 2

- - - - - - -

Totals, 31 0 5 5 24 16 4

INNINGS. 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Harvard, 2 0 0 0 0 2 2 0 - 6

Amherst, 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 - 0

Earned runs, Harvard (3); two base hits, Abbott; sacrifice hits, Cook, Hunt; stolen bases, Hallowell (2), Abbott; first base on balls, Hallowell (2), Sullivan, Upton, Smith; first base on errors, Sullivan, Hallowell, Wiggin, Trafford, Stearns; struck out, Cook, Sullivan, Wiggin (2), Cheney (2), Allen, Smith, (2), Landis (2), Flitchner (2), Ellis (2); wild pitches, Colby (2); hit by pitched ball, Frothingham; time, 1 h, 45m.; umpire, Mr. Murray.

HARVARD '96 7, CAMBRIDGE LATIN. 4The freshmen beat the Cambridge Latin yesterday by a score of 7 to 4 in seven innings. They played on the whole a steady game, though the sixth inning was productive of four hits off McCarthy and two costly errors by Harvard. Clarkson who pitched for the Latin School, struck out six men, and allowed but four hits. McCarthy struck out but one man, though only two hits were made against him, outside of the sixth inning. Five errors were made by Cambridge, and six by Harvard. For Harvard, Hayes and Griffin played the best ball. Henry caught well but threw poorly to second. The most noticeable defect in the playing of the freshmen was in batting, which was not nearly so good as on Saturday.

Score by innings:

Innings, 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Harvard '96 4 0 1 0 0 2 0 7

Cambridge Latin, 0 0 0 0 0 4 0 4