The Proposed Dining Hall.

In response to the petition of the directors of Memorial Hall, for a new dining hall, the Corporation offers a hall to be built on the Holyoke Street lot, on the conditions stated in the following circular letter issued by the Secretary of the University.

HARVARD UNIVERSITY,

Cambridge, April 25,1893.The President and Fellows are disposed to proceed at once to the erection of a new dining hall, upon the Holyoke Street lot, provided definite assurance can be obtained that a sufficient number of members of the University will board at the new hall next year, Under the following system:-

The hall shall be occupied by an association of officers and students constituted much as the Memorial Hall Dining Association is constituted, with a President and Directors elected from the Association by a general vote of its members; a Steward and an Auditor appointed by the President and Fellows, but removable by the Directors; and a "Scheme" of government satistactory to the Corporation. The Steward shall be paid a fixed salary, and is addition be shall receive weekly "head money" in proportion to the weekly number of members of the Association.

Food shall be supplied by the a la carte system, and the prices set in the bill of fare upon articles which have been served at the Foxcroft Club, shall not exceed the average prices charged at that Club during the academic years 1891-92, and 1892-93. I shall be possible, however, for a member ordering at any meal to order the "regular" breakfast, or lunch, or dinner, such "regular" meal being a selection of dishes made by the steward. The aggregate charge for a week of twenty-one "regular" meals shall not be less than $2.50 or more than $3.50. The sum of the prices of twenty-one such "regular" meals shall be determined by the Board of Directors from time to time, subject to the limits above named. The tables in the new hall may be secured as club tables; but if at any time the demand for places shall justify such action, fifty percent more members may be assigned to a club table than there are seats at such table.

Every member of the Association shall pay an annual fee of six dollars, one third to be charged on each term bill. Proportionate reductions shall be made from this fee in favor of persons who withdraw for the whole of any term, but not for any traction of a term.

The hall which the Corporation thinks of building upon the Holyoke Street land will be large enough to accommodate about a thousand men. It will cost with I fixtures nearly $50,000. This amount is to be repaid in moderate annual instalments; and interest upon the capital sum and upon other advances made by the Corporation is also to be paid year by year. These re-payments and payments make an annual fee necessary.

If this new Dining Association is to be j established next year and anew hall to built for it in season for occupancy next October, no time is to be lost. I am authorized by the Corporation to ascertain definitely whether this Hall is or is not Wanted by the University. Students who wish to join this new Association, and Propose to board in the new hall next year are requested to sign the accompanying paper.

FEATO BOLLES, Secretary.This association which the corporation authorizes is not exactly such as the Memorial Hall directors : thought of, but it is believed it will best meet the present needs of the College. Since the Foxcroft Club cannot remain in its present quarters, it seems best to give it some permanent situation, and the proposed hall will both do this and cover the ground of like smaller organizations, and generally offer every opportunity for moderate living to economical students. The a la carte system, and the comparatively low limits for the weekly charge, will of course necessitate a much larger and more general use of "orders," even among those who take "regular" meals. Further than this the announcement sufficiently explains itself.

The College is being canvassed for signatures to the proposed association, it being the idea to get an unprejudiced statement of the students' feeling in the matter, before the corporation takes further steps. Members of the University who wish to sign for places in the new dining hall can find blanks at the Office, at Memorial, the Foxcroft Club, the Cooperative, the Library and at the Law School, as well as in the hands of the students who are authorized to collect signatures in the domitories.