Engish VI.

Debate for Thursday, April 13, 1893.

Question: Resolved, That the housing of the poor ought to be improved at public expense.

Brief for the Affirmative.

Best general references: J. A. Rus, How the Other Half Lives; Octavia +++ Homes of the London Poor; Chas. Booth, Labor and Life in the East of London; J. B. Russel. Life in One Room; No. Am. Rev. LXXIV. 464-180 (April 1852); Scribner's, XI. 676-721 (July, 1892); Forum. V. 207-215. (April, 1887) Nichol, Statistics of Glasgow, 1885-91, p. 129-133.

I. The present tenement-house system is disgraceful; Rus, How the Other Lives. - (a) It is dangerous to life and health: A. T. White, Improved Dwellings for the Laboring Classes, p. 7; Scribuer's XI. 697. - (b) It is immoral: J. B. Russel, Life in One Room, p. 10-13; Nineteenth Century, XVII. 927. - (c) It is costly; ibid.

II. The necessity for improvement is urgent. - (a) City poor should be supplied with - (1) Parks and open spaces: Octavia HIll. Homes of the London Poor, chap. VII; American Statistical Association's Publications I. 49-61 (1888). (2) Cheap and rapid transit to suburbs; Scribner's XI, 718. - (3) Improved dwellings and lodging houses; A. T. White, Workingmen's Dwellings; Fort. Rev. XLIX. 285. - (4) Reading-rooms and public baths; Scribners XI. 710. - (5) Sanitary inspection and regulation; J. B. Russel, Life in One Room. (b) Good tenements would pay a reasonable money profit: Boston Herald, Jan. 10, 1893; Octavia Hill, Homes of the London Poor, p. 3. - (c) The question is one of public charity, not of socialism.

III. Changes should be made at public expense; Octavia Hill, Houses of the London Poor, chap. VI. - (a) They would benefit the general public. - (b) Present health remedies are insufficient: Forum V. 212; Forth. Rev. LIII, 76. - (c) Remedies at public expense have succeeded in Glasgow, 129-133; Octavia Hill, Homes of the London Poor, 73. - (d) The necessity is so urgent that only municipal control can remedy it within a reasonable time. - (e) It is of the same nature as other enterprises which government looks after.

Brief for the Negative.

J. ALLEN and O. G. VILLARD.

Best general references: Summer's What Social Classes Owe Each Other; Mackay's Plea for Liberty. chap 8: Nineteenth Century XIV. p. 925 (Dec. 1883); Nation LII p. 134. (Feb. 12, 1891); Forum XI, 115 (Apr. 1891); Westm. Rev. 121, p. 137. (Jan. 1884); Boston Herald Dec. 12, '92, Jan. 10, 12, 15, 1893.

I. Municipal housing is not wise in theory. - (a) It is class legislation: Westm. Rev. Vol. 121, p. 140. - (b) It causes reliance on state instead of on self: Rus. Forum XIV 142 (Dec. 1892); Westm. Rev. vol. 121 p. 140. - (c) It does not benefit the honest classes: Nineteenth Century, XIV. 125; Nation LII-33; Forum XI, 119. - (d) It leads logically to complete dependence on state: Century (June 1891) vol. 39. p. 732.

II. Municipal housing is not successful in practice. - (a) The Glasgow experiments affects better classes: Century XXXIX, p. 732. - (b) London Experiment, Fort. Rev. vol. 38. p. 423. - (c) Naples experiment. Nation LII, 133. - (d) New York; Rus, Forum, XIV. 492.

III. Improvements must come from private enterprise; Mackay, chap. 8. - (a) Education: Boston Herald, Dec. 21, 1892. - (b) Boston Building Association: Herald Jan. 10, 12, 15, 18aa; (c) Familistere at Guise: Fort. Rev. March 1893. - (d) Workingmen's homes in Philadelphia.