The Atlantic Monthly.

One of the leading article of the Atlantic for May is "European Peasants as Immigrants" by Professor N. S. Shaler. The author considers elaborately the nature of European peasants showing that they are in general of a character much beneath what is to be desired in an American citizen. The reasons of their inferiority are explained in a simple and satisfactory way, and the conclusion is reached "That the American commonwealth would never have been founded if the first European colonists had been of peasant stock. It is doubtful whether it can be maintained if its preservation comes to depend upon such men."

Frank Bolles is the author of an article called "Individuality in Birds." It is an interesting paper treating a subject that has not been much considered in a direct and entertaining style. Most of the illustrations are drawn from observations of Mr. Bolles's barred owls.

The number opens with "The Columbian Exposition and American civilization" by Henry Van Brunt. The author shows that the influence of the World's Fair will certainly be for the good not only of all the industrial and liberal arts but also of the fine arts. "Admiral Saumarez" is a biographical sketch of one of the ablest of English admirals, a contemporary of Nelson and Lord St. Vincent. The fact that the article is written by A. T. Mahan is a guarantee of its interest. Other good articles are "The English Question" by J. J. Greenough; "'Tis Sixty Years Since in Chicago" by J. D. Caton, and "Hawthorn and North Adams" by Bliss Perry.