Exhibition Tennis Match.

Yesterday afternoon J. H. Chase '95 the winner of the spring tournament played T. Hoppin '93, who holds the college tennis championship. Although Chase won the match by the score 4-6, 3-6, 6-0, 6-2, 6-2, Hoppin still holds the championship, for it is only after the fall tournament that the champion can be beaten. The match was not particularly well played on either side. It was generally too careful and lacking in "killing" strokes, though both the men made many brilliant plays.

The first set was started tentatively, the men slowly playing a swifter game. There was much excellent lobbing. Chase usually getting his points by side line plays. Hoppin got most of his points by steady playing and a few good places. In this set both men put more balls into the net than out, and there was almost no driving. Hoppin finally won through his steadiness. Score 6-4.

Hoppin won the first game of the second set by brilliant plays. Chase won the next through side line places. Whenever either man came "up," the other forced him back by lobbing. Here, as all through the match neither "killed" the ball on excellent opportunities to do so. Hoppin clearly had the best in the set, and won after many long but easy rallies. Score 6-3.

After a slight rest they began again. They started in playing too carefully, Chase, however, rapidly going ahead. He came up to the net a little more, and drove the ball more often, also placed better and made a couple of brilliant pickups. Hoppin was weakening perceptibly, which he continued to do till the end of the match. He was evidently not in condition for five sets, while Chase was. Chase won the set easily. Score 6-1.

The next set was very much the same. There was the same slowness and long plays, varied by occasional brilliant ones. Chase seemed to improve, though both still put a good many balls out. Chase again won easily. Score 6-2.

The deciding set Chase also won. Hoppin took the first game, but soon lost the lead. He was putting too many balls out, or in the net. In the middle of the set he braced and took a game, but again weakened, and Chase won easily. Score 6-2.

The finals in the consolations yesterday morning resulted in a victory for R. E. Phillips '93, over A. Codman '96, by a score of 6-2, 6-3, they having mutually agreed to play the best two out of three sets. This afternoon the exhibition doubles will be played.