The Atlantic Monthly.

The December number of the Atlantic Monthly is a worthy ending for the year 1888. It is gratifying to notice as time goes on the growing tendency of the Atlantic to discuss the questions of the day. "The Future of the Country College," by President Hyde of Bowdoin is a masterly treatment of a subject which interests not only college men, but all people interested in higher education. Miss Murfree ends in this number her remarkable story "The Despot of Broomsedge Cove." Those who have followed it through the year can testify to its excellence. Mr. Hardy contributes the eleventh and twelfth chapters of "Passe Rose." Two articles, "Urbs Animae" and "A Flight in the Dark," signed only with initials, have an added zest from the mystery attaching. Louise Stockton offers a story "The Devil's Passage." Mr. W. R. Thayer's paper of "Garibaldi" is very interesting and exciting, Mr. Downes' fifth paper on "Boston Painters and Paintings," appears. The article which appeals most to Boston people is the one on their old favorite, William Warren, by Henry A. Clapp, the dramatic critic. Anything on such a subject will always be acceptable. These, with a number of minor articles make up the number.