Winter Athletic Meetings.

There will be but two winter meetings in the gymnasium this year, instead of three as last year. They will come March 17 and March 24. The first meeting will as usual be devoted to wrestling, sparring, and shot putting. There seems to be unusual interest in boxing and wrestling. The formation of the sparring club has brought out several clever men who are anxious to show their ability. At the meeting recently called for wrestlers, some dozen or more signified their willingness to enter a class under Mr. Lathrop. If they all train there will be more competition than there has been at any time since the present seniors were freshmen. The shot putting is liable to be not very good, for nobody has as yet begun practice for that event, and most of the old men have left college.

The second meeting will be a ladies' day. It will be devoted to light gymnastics of some sort. On account of the fact that two meetings are crowded into one, some events must be omitted. It has not been definitely decided just what events will be contested. There was last night a meeting of men interested in gymnastics, in order to find out in what events there are likely to be entries. Men appeared for the horizontal bar, parallel bars, tumbling, and rope climbing. Unless more men enter, however, some of these events will be given up for a potato race or a ten yards dash.

No definite plans will be made until after the examinations, though the committee would be glad to have entries in any event. As provisions are made for having an unusually interesting meeting March 17, special pains will be taken to make ladies' day by no means inferior. There will be an effort to introduce some new feature.