New Building for Yale.

Plans are under preparation for a new chemical laboratory for the Scientific School at Yale. The architects are J. C. Cady and Co., of New York City, who designed Winchester Hall and the new White and Berkeley dormitories, and the plans are under the supervision of Professors Mixter and Panfield.

The building will be 50x125 ft. in dimensions, three stories high with basement, and built of the slow-burning construction, the walls being of brick.

The roof will be of three inches of spruce, one inch of felt and a covering of copper. The floors will be of spruce and maple, and the walls will be plastered and hard finished. The woodwork will be of hard pine throughout. The building will be heated from the plant in Winchester Hall.

The third floor will comprise a general chemical laboratory, which will be used by the freshman class, a lecture room accommodating one hundred, a recitation room accommodating forty, and two preparation rooms, one containing the apparatus for the lecture room and the other that for the laboratory.

The re-agent shelves are to be of soapstone. The room will have adequate locker space, each man having two drawers and one locker, supplying 320 men in four divisions.

The gas holders for chemical work will be located in the eastern end of the room on the wall, with pneumatic trough below. The drainage will be through the posts which support the flooring.

The second floor will be devoted to a qualitative laboratory, a supply room for the laboratory, a private room for Professor Mixter, and a balance room.

The first floor will contain a quantitative laboratory, a balance room, store rooms, and rooms for the use of students in the graduate departments.

The basement will be taken up by an assay laboratory, furnished with furnaces and complete apparatus, and a room for physical experiments.