Student Volunteer Work.

Yesterday morning Mr. Birtwell held the third of his regular Tuesday morning conferences in Grays 17. Sixty men have already talked with him, more than half of whom are now actively engaged in volunteer charity work of various kinds. At a meeting of the committee, with the advisory members, held last week, the following plans were offered: A shelf in the Library reading room will shortly be reserved for the current literature on the subject of Boys' Clubs, Visiting of Hospitals and the Poor, Charity Organizations, and other similar philanthropic movements. The committee propose to hold during the year several evening conferences open to all students, to be addressed by prominent specialists in charity work. After the principal address, the meetings will be thrown open for general discussion. Excursions, also, will be conducted by Mr. Birtwell to the various organized charities of Boston and vicinity.

Mr. Birtwell will be in Grays 17 every Tuesday during the winter, and all men interested, whether or not intending to enter the work, are invited to meet him at that time. Communications may be addressed to him at 20 Hancock street, Boston. The expenses of the committee for the year will be one thousand dollars, half of which has already been subscribed. It is hoped to raise the other five hundred dollars before December 1, and an active canvass now being made among the students is meeting a generous response. Subscriptions may be sent to the treasurer, C. E. Noyes, 7 Ware street.