Radcliffe College Reports.

The advance sheets of the Radcliffe College Reports for 1894 being at hand, it is possible to give an accurate review of the progress of the college during the past year.

The first important thing to be noticed is the election of two new associates of Radcliffe College. These are Miss Annie Leland Barber of the class of 1883, and Miss Mary Coes of the class of 1887. They will be the first representatives of the graduates on any governing board of the college.

The report of the treasurer, Henry L. Higginson, shows that the receipts for the year were $67,456.31, and the expenditures $67,555.79. Thus only $99.48 had to be taken from the balance of $5,780.73 left over from the previous year.

The report of Mrs. Agassiz, the president, gives a brief resume of the work accomplished since the founding of the college, and of the aims and purposes of the institution. In closing her report she speaks of a scholarship, recently endowed, in the name of Joanna Hoar, probably by one of her descendants, though the gift was anonymous.

Mr. Arthur Gilman, the regent, states in his report that of the sixty-three graduate courses offered by Radcliffe College, fifty-one and one-half are courses in Harvard University, the women being in those cases admitted to the same classes with the men. He then speaks of the act for changing the name of the institution to Radcliffe College and enlarging its power, which passed the legislature and was signed by the governor in March of last year.

The total number of students during the last year was 255, of whom 100 were candidates for the bachelor's degree. These students are from one hundred and twenty-four different schools and colleges. Some of the colleges in the list are the Woman's College, Baltimore; the University of California; Boston University; Bryn Mawr College; Christian College, Mo.; Columbia College, S. C.; Barnard College; Smith College; Vassar College; Wellesley College. It is a noteworthy fact that while Radcliffe receives graduates from almost all the larger colleges for women, no graduate of Radcliffe is enrolled at any of these colleges.

The increase in gifts to the institution since it became a college and received a distinctive name is marked. Besides the gift in memory of Joanna Hoar, already mentioned, the college has also received funds to establish the Agnes Irwin Scholarship, contributed by about seven hundred women who had been under the care of the present Dean of Radcliffe, during her life in Philadelphia. Another scholarship has been founded by Mrs. Josiah M. Fiske, of New York City, in memory of her husband. Ninety-seven thousand dollars have been received by the treasurer in cash and securities from the estate of Mrs. Catherine Perkins. Miss Anna Lowell, who has made a contribution to the funds of the college in some form almost every year, has this year given $10,000.

The chief need of Radcliffe College at present is a library building. The library contains seven thousand volumes, and the danger from fire is ever threatening. The limit of accommodation has been reached in Fay House, and more lecture rooms are an immediate necessity.

The Academic Board has continued to raise the requirements for the admission of special students, with the intention of admitting none who are not in the strictest sense of the term specialist.