Harvard Defeated.

Last Game of the Season Goes Against Her Eleven.

Hard Luck Follows Harvard to the Very End. Score, 18 to 4.

PHILADELPHIA, Nov. 29 - The afternoon here was ideal for football, clear and cold to suit the players, but with a bright sun to make it easier for the spectators. Before the game began, the wind had almost entirely died out, so that neither side had any advantage on that score.

In the morning, before breakfast, the Harvard team took a short walk, and after breakfast both Harvard and Pennsylvania elevens went out and looked over the grounds, on which they were to meet later in the day.

The crowd had begun to collect on the University Grounds by twelve o'clock, and a large crowd was soon struggling for admission.

By two o'clock the four grand stands were completely filled, and hundreds were standing around the low fence that surrounded the field. The scene was brilliant with the colors of the two colleges. The betting just before the game began was five to four in favor of Pennsylvania.

Before the game began no one would have known from the way Captain Knipe ran around the field that he was the man of whose playing there had been considerable doubt. The crowd was also astonished to see Brooke, the Pennsylvania fullback, drop several goals from the field at the 40-yard line.

As the two teams ran on the field they were greeted by wild bursts of applause. The Pennsylvania men came first with Brooke in the lead. Then followed Captain Emmons after 15 minutes, at the head of his men. For a short time the ball was passed from man to man, while the men warmed up. The captains held a short consultation, and then the two teams lined up for the kick-off.

The teams lined up:

HARVARD. U. OF P.

Emmons, l.e. r.e., Rosengarten.

Hallowell, l.t. r.t., Minds.

Mackie, r.g. r.g., Wharton.

F. Shaw, c. c., Bull.

J. N. Shaw, r.g. l.g., Woodruff.

Waters, r.t., l.t., Wagonhurst.

A. Brewer, r.e. l.e., Gelbert.

Wrenn, q.b. q.b., Williams.

C. Brewer (Hayes), h.b. h.b., Knipe.

Whittemore, h.b. h.b., Osgood.

Fairchild, f.b. f.b., Brooke.

Laurie Bliss of Yale was chosen referee, Dashiel of Lehigh, umpire; Dr. Brooks and Schoff linesmen. Harvard won the toss and took the western goal.

Brooke kicked off to Harvard's 20 yard line but by a kick of Fairchild's the ball was returned to Harvard's 45 yard line. Knipe made ten yards through right end, and then Osgood eight more through left end.

Then Gelbert was given the ball and gained three yards through centre, but before Pennsylvania stopped her advance Harvard got the ball on a fumble and C. Brewer at once took it forty yards through centre. At the next line up Harvard was held.

Fairchild kicked to Osgood, but the latter muffed the ball and Norton Shaw fell on it at Pennsylvania's 50 yard line. Whittemore tried right end for no gain, and again Fairchild kicked, this time to the 25 yard line.

Again Pennsylvania fumbled, but did not lose the ball, and Brooke kicked to centre, where C. Brewer fell on the ball. Whittemore went 15 yards around right end, and then C. Brewer shook off Brooke and succeeded in making a touchdown. Harvard men went wild, but the ball was taken back and given to Pennsylvania for off side play.

Knipe made eight yards through right tackle, and Wharton bucked the centre for four yards, and then the ball went to Harvard on downs.

C. Brewer made three yards and Fairchild punted to Brooke on Pennsylvania's 20 yard line, where A. Brewer was on hand to prevent any advance. Gelbert made a beautiful run around right end, but Osgood fell on the next play, losing 10 yards. Brooke kicked to the centre of the field.

Harvard kicked and there was an exchange of punts, Fairchild's last one going out of bounds at Pennsylvania's 45-yard line. Gelbert double-passed the ball to Brooke for three yards. On trying left end Osgood lost four yards, so Pennsylvania kicked out to C. Brewer on Harvard's 25-yard line.

Whittemore rushed 20 yards around right end, and then C. Brewer took the ball to the centre of the field. Thus far Pennsylvania's line had not held very well.

Fairchild kicked to Brooke, who was again beautifully tackled by A. Brewer, this time on the 25 yard line. Brooke's ankle was slightly wrenched in the operation.

Up to this time the play had been in Pennsylvania's territory. Waters had made good holes through Wagenhurst repeatedly, while A. Brewer broke through on the opposing backs without difficulty, downing them with losses.

On the next play Gelbert lost 5 yards on Waters' beautiful tackle, and after a short gain by Osgood, Brooke had to kick. The ball reached C. Brewer, who held up his hand for a free kick. Rosengarten paid no heed to this, however, and his tackle gave Harvard 15 yards.

On the next line-up Harvard's first accident came. Captain Emmons injured his knee and had to be carried from the field, while young Cabot went in to take his place. The ball was on Pennsylvania's 30 yard line. Whittemore lost four yards on trying right end and the ball had to be kicked. It reached the 5 yard line, but was brought back and given to Harvard with 10 yds.

By short rushes the ball was carried to Pennsylvania's 12 yard line where Harvard lost it on a fumble by Whittemore. At once it was punted out, but only for 23 yards, and Fairchild on the next play punted in touch.

Brooke kicked off from the 20-yard line and the ball landed in fair bounds thirty yards nearer Harvard's goal, where Pennsylvania soon got it on a fumble, Fairchild allowing it to slip through his hands. Immediately afterwards he was badly hurt and had to be carried from the field by force, giving place to Dunlop.

With the ball on Pennsylvania's 45 yard line, Brooke kicked to Harvard's 20 yard line. Knipe received Brewer's kick-off and made 15 yards before he could be stopped. Three downs, however, immediately gave Harvard the ball on her own 40 yard line. On the first play she lost, and on the exchange of kicks a fumble gave Rosengarten the ball, 35 yards from Harvard's goal.

Short gains by Wharton and Brooks, with ten yards around right end by Knipe, left the ball at Harvard's 25-yard line. At this stage of the game C. Brewer was injured and had to give place to Hayes.

In a minute the first score of the game was made. Brooke had kicked to Harvard's three-yard line, and Hayes, who received the ball, not knowing he was so close to the goal, ran back across the line and so scored two points against his side. The half ended almost immediately after this.

Score, Pennsylvania 2, Harvard 0.

The second half opened at 3.44. Waters kicked off for 25 yards, and the ball went to Harvard on a fumble by Wharton; but she soon lost it on downs. In a few minutes, after several plays, Brooke kicked to Harvard's 18 yard line, where Hayes got the ball.

The first touchdown followed for Pennsylvania. After a few rushes Hayes kicked, but the ball went into the line, where Wagonhurst secured it and carried it over the line. Brooke kicked the goal, and the score stood 8 to 0 in favor of Pennsylvania.

Waters kicked off and Osgood got the ball on the 15-yard line and made a beautiful run of 50 yards before he was downed. In this run he was aided by splendid interference on the part of Gelbert and Knipe.

Pennsylvania took a great brace here. Knipe went twelve yards through right tackle, but a fumble gave Harvard the ball on her 25 yard line. At this point Hallowell was injured so that he had to leave the field and Wheeler went in to take his place at left tackle.

Whittemore made eight yards through right tackle and then tried centre for no gain. Bull was here slightly injured, but resumed play. A. Brewer ran out of bounds, then Hayes was thrown by Gelbert without gain. A punt at once took the ball to Pennsylvania's 50-yard line, from which Brooke returned it. Harvard was given fifteen yards for a foul tackle.

Harvard kicked, and Knipe made a long run of 38 yards, bringing the ball to the 2 yard line, from which Knipe carried it over on the next play. The ball was punted out, but the goal was missed by a few inches, leaving the score 12 to 0 in favor of Pennsylvania.

After the kick-off, Knipe got the ball on Pennsylvania's 18 yard line, from which Knipe carried it to the 40 yard line. Brooke then kicked to Harvard's 37 yard line, where Cabot dropped on the ball. Harvard soon lost it. Woodruff tried centre for no gain, then Wharton bucked the line twice for 4 yards each time.

The ball went to Harvard on downs at her 20-yard line, and Whittemore tried left end without success. Then the ball was lost on downs. Pennsylvania was playing a superb game, while the Harvard men seemed to be weakening.

Brooke tried for a goal from the field, but went almost forty feet wide. The ball came out to the 40 yard line, and Hayes kicked to Osgood; but in a minute Pennsylvannia got it on offside play on Harvard's 20 yard line.

Brooke kicked to Hayes, but Harvard again lost the ball on offside play. Then Pennsylvania made ten yards and the ball was given to Harvard for holding in the line.

Harvard tried the centre twice without gain and then Hayes kicked to Pennsylvania's 25 yard line, where Harvard got the ball. Hayes made 8 yards, Dunlop 4 through centre, and the ball was on Pennsylvania's 22 yard line.

The ball was then forced on by short rushes of Waters and Hayes to the two yard line, from which Waters carried it over for Harvard's first touchdown. The goal was missed, leaving the score 12 to 4 in favor of Pennsylvania.

After the ball was kicked out, Pennsylvania played brilliantly, and at 4.49 Knipe scored another touchdown, from which the goal was kicked. This left the score, Pennsylvania 18, Harvard 4.

The game ended without any further scoring by either side.