What the Yale News Says.

Hinkey was Never Guilty of Unfair Roughness.

[N. E. Associated Press.]

NEW HAVEN, CONN., Dec. 17. - The Yale News this afternoon said editorially:

"All Yale men in college and out will rejoice that the football statements have been published. The testimony of the officials at the Springfield game is the best sort of proof of the falsity of the vicious newspaper attacks on Captain Hinkey. Such conclusive evidence completely exonerates him, as every fair-minded person must admit. While the university has never faltered in its loyalty to Captain Hinkey, the malicious misrepresentations of the press made a formal refutation of the charges against him imperative for the sake of Yale's good name."

The News also says:

"The committee examined Captain Hinkey, who, although averse to carrying discussions into the public press, nevertheless on account of the gravity of the unfounded charges made against him states once for all and most positively, that he did not "knee" or otherwise maltreat Wrightington in the Springfield game, and that he has never been guilty of unfair roughness in any of the games in which he has taken part. Furthermore, his statement is corroborated by the fact that although he has played for seven years at Andover and at Yale, and hence under various umpires and referees, no official has ever found it necessary to adjudge him guilty of, or disqualify him for unfair play."