HARVARD '98, 12; YALE '98, 6.

The Freshmen are More Successful than the 'Varsity.

The freshman eleven defeated the Yale freshmen on Soldiers Field Saturday in a close, well played game, by a score of 12 to 6. The crowd that watched the game was the smallest of any at the Harvard-Yale freshman games in recent years. There were not over 2500 people in the enclosure, and the cheering that they did was not of the most enthusiastic kind.

The field was in fairly good condition. The slight sheet of snow that covered it had been cleared off, and the only thing the players had to contend with was the slipperyness of the ground.

The two elevens were equally matched and played about the same general style of game. Harvard had some good tricks, while Yale quite frequently worked the mass guard and tackle plays. The Harvard freshmen showed the effect of working together as a team, without depending on star individual, plays while the Yale men, many of them 'varsity material, did not seem to understand each other and did considerable fumbling.

The most pleasing feature of the game was its freeness from slugging, and unnecessarily hard tackling. The men on both sides played with a vim, but nothing was done to mar the game. Only one man was obliged to leave the game and that was Chauncey, Yale's star halfback, who was injured by coming in contact with another player.

Another feature of the game was the punting of Redpath and Betts. The two were evenly matched as to distance, but Betts outclassed his opponent in judging when and where to kick the ball. It may have been that Yale's line held better than Harvard's, for Betts's punts were much less frequently blocked than Redpath's.

As in the Springfield game the first touchdown was made by a punt being blocked and the ball going behind the Harvard goal. Yale had worked the ball to Harvard's 20 yard line, when Redpath was signalled to punt. The ball was passed back all right, but Morris, the Yale guard, broke through, stopped the punt, and fell on the ball behind the line. The second touchdown was scored after about twenty minutes of hard work. The ball was kicked to Betts on Yale's 15 yard line. Instead of returning it he started to run, when his captain shouted out to punt. He did so, but it was too late. Bull, the Harvard end rush, blocked the ball, and following close after it, fell on it behind the line.

In the second half the ball was taken to Harvard's 10 yard line. Here Harvard got the ball on a fumble, and soon forced it back to Yale's 35 yard line. By a double pass Knox made 20 yards around Yale's right end, and on the next play went through the line on another trick for a touchdown.

Yale took a great brace in the last few minutes of the game and would have tied the score had not time been called just as they lined up on Harvard's 1 yard line for the final shove. The ball had been brought from the 30 yard line without a fumble by a succession of mass plays on guard and tackle.

Captain Scott and Redpath on the Harvard side were the stars. Scott showed fine judgment in running his team and was the best tackle on the field. He kept his team up to the work and showed none of that slowness that was apparent in the Columbia game.

Redpath did more work than any other man on the Harvard team. He did nearly all the punting and rushed with the ball time and again, frequently for 15 and 20 yards, while his run of 40 yards was beautiful. His kicking was good, but at times was too low.

Knox, Bull, Brown, and Gierarch for his tackling, a I come in for a full share of praise. In fact every man on the team held up his position and did something besides to entitle him to praise.

On the Yale side Chauncey was the star and Yale felt his loss severely when he was injured. Betts punted well and with good judgment. In the rush line Murray, the left tackle, rushed well with the ball, and Hazen followed the ball and tackled well.

The line-up and summary:

HARVARD '98. YALE '98.

Woods, l.e. r.e., Hazen.

Brown, l.t. r.t., Hickok.

Bouve, l.g. r.g., Spreyer.

Hoague, c. c., McCrea.

Woodward, r.g. l.g., Morris.

Holmes, r.t. l.t., Murray.

Bull, r.e. l.e., Thompson.

Scott (Capt.), q.b. q.b., Eli (Capt.).

Knox, h.b. h.b., Chauncey (Newmeyer).

Redpath, h.b. h.b., Gerard.

Gierarch, f.b. f.b., Betts.

Score - Harvard 12, Yale 6. Touch-downs - Morris, Bull, Knox. Goals from touchdowns - Betts, Brown 2. Umpire - Mr. Edgerton of Trinity. Referee - Mr. Garfield. Linesman - F. A. Woods, B. A. A. Time - 70m.