An Educational Experiment.

"The Hemenway Gymnasium: An Educational Experiment," is the title of an article by Dr. Sargent in the present number of the Graduates' Magazine. The plan which is proposed by Dr. Sargent is of considerable interest, and his discussion of it is briefly as follows:

The radical distinction made by many between mind and body, and the disparagement of the latter when compared with the former, are simply errors of a bygone age, and are not borne out by the deductions of modern science. The body and mind should at least be regarded as co-workers, and the training of one should be so directed as to supplement and improve the condition of the other. As the years devoted to education are essentially years of physical growth and development, why should not a more rational attention to the care of the body be encouraged and provided for as a necessary adjunct to a collegiate education? Every student who attends Harvard University should have the opportunity of taking some systematic form of physical exercise. The exercises offered for selection should cover the broadest possible range, including every kind of athletic sport and gymnastic game. Before making his choice, the student should have a physical examination and the benefit of expert advice as to what exercise he may best follow. The final selection, however, should be optional with the student, except in those cases where prohibition is necessary to protect from injury. After the student has made his choice, if he devotes an amount of time equivalent to at least four hours a week, he should receive some sort of credit for this work from the highest authorities of the University. Further, if any student passes an examination in a series of tests selected for measuring the special powers of his neuro-muscular mechanism, and his consequent ability to meet the duties and exigencies of life, he should be credited with the result of this examination in his efforts towards a degree.

In order to improve the physical quality of young men who come to college, they should be required to pass such a physical examination upon entering as would give evidence of their ability to pursue the course with profit, and do good service after graduation.

If the exercise were taken seriously as a college duty, for which credit was to be received, instead of an idle pastime, an hour could be arranged for it when making up the list of elective courses for the year. The general arrangement of athletic teams could be the same as now, except that the number and variety would be augmented in consequence of the fact that the time devoted to training was placed to the credit of one's college standing instead of being made to detract from it. To prevent this privilege from being abused, it might be well to require a certain standard of scholarship from those to whom it was extended.